86 monte ss 400 th350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xxjoe1121xx

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2015
Im putting a very well built 407 and th350 into an 86 monte ss no t tops. The builder suggested putting a serpentine setup on the motor and e fans. I have a complete assembly from a 91 tbi 1500 or a 98 vortec 1500. The tbi alternator is on the left. Vortec is on the right.
Will this work?
And what is the trick to the alternator wiring. Whats in the monte now is way differnet than the other ones i have.
Any info is great. My first monte

Xxjoe1121xx

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2015
That is beautiful man. Love it. Mine wont be near as clean in there but its a racer. Not a shower

Xxjoe1121xx

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2015
The floors and truck and everything in mine is good. Some rust on each side infront of the back tires. But will work for a few years of fun racing/street coffee getter lol. Thanks for the info on the tbi brackets. How did you get the alt to work properly with the 2 wire. Did you use the ac delco adapter from 10si to cs130?

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
i did the ad244 upgrade, got the alt. harness off the truck. cs130 to ad244 upgrade you'll find all the info you need if you go that route

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
The 91 truck should only have one wire for the plug in connector(some models had a tach wire as well). It will be brown and it goes to the brown wire that goes to your original alternator. You either need the charge indicator bulb in your dash to work or you need to add a resistor to the wire. If you have the charge indicator lamp still in use this is the way I would go.

If you don't have the charge indicator system still operable then I would go with an adapter harness.
You can use an AC Delco adapter harness part number, PT2145 , it will plug into your original harness and into the new alternator and has a resistor built in.

Xxjoe1121xx

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2015
What did you do for water pump? Standard forward flow serpentine pump or a v-belt reverse flow high volume pump with a serpentine pulley on it? Going with 3 core rad and e fan setup

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
You have to use the reverse flow for the factory serpentine setup. Anytime the smooth side of the belt runs on a pulley that pulley turns the opposite direction of the crank.

Xxjoe1121xx

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2015
So i can get a high volume reverse flow for the 86 monte and run the serpentine pulley and all should be fine? Im just worried about cooling. 400 bored 30 over. Only were able to drill 1 row of steam holes in the heads so the more flow the better

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor