86 Monte starter issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2019
Hi all..

Hope everyone's having a great day. 😊

Here's my issue:

The car: 1986 Monte Carlo CL. Former 4.3 FI car . 10 to 1 350 swap with a Th350 trans. Edelbrock Performer 600 carb and intake..World Products SR heads. 465 lift cam ( waayy to much of a cam!! ) and Dynomax headers feeding into a 2000's Dynomax true dual exhaust system with Dynomax turbo mufflers

The issue:

At random times when I push the start button ( steering column start contacts failed) all I get is a click from the starter.

Sometimes also it will crank slow

Yet other times ill crank it for a half second and she'll fire right up!

The issue seems to be more prevalent in cold weather than warm

Battery is a Duralast Gold and is less than a year old and is fully charged

Possible solutions..
I had thought shimming the starter may help.. Yet it doesn't always seem to bind.

So in short:

HELP!!!!

Assistance would be much appreciated.

Mike

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd say it's either the starter is on the way out or you might want to check the wiring for the add on starter button. Make sure you have the right gauge wires to match what is in the harness for the original circuit & all the connection are making good contact.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If the battery is good, the starter is on its way out. My 86 caprice did that. Red top optima battery and still wouldn’t crank when cold out. Changed the starter and problem gone.

• Agree

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I am thinking maybe 2 issues. With it happening in cold weather that sounds like a low voltage issue. Check connections and look for corrosion on battery terminals especially if you still have side terminals. Remove from battery to look and look for swelling in the cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor