86' Olds 307 valve seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For anyone that has replaced the valve seals in a Olds 307 mine is an 86' so I am looking for the best quality valve seals that will fit stock heads without issues or modifications.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The stock seals are pretty much indentical between brands, the same hard nylon seals. Just buy the ones for the best price. I am sure glad someone spent the time and upgraded to the positive seals on the last 2 sets of Olds heads I bought, which require machining to the guide. There are white and black seals, one must be intake, the other exhaust. Both fit the same.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought the Fel Pro ones a while back, I guess I am just used to the performance style seals because I look at these and think how can these huge hard nylon pieces possibly seal a valve, the only stock ones I have replaced were years ago in a SBC with umbrella seals.
$_58.JPG

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I agree, not the greatest design. Look for melted or broken seals. My 307 headed 350 Olds was puffing blue smoke on start up like a 70's sbc. I found all the center exhaust seals melted, Olds have that huge exhaust cross over in the head, makes a lot of heat. I also found a couple missing chunks. Doing in truck in with compressed air wasn't so bad.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor