86 Regal 350 swap- questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Regal433

n00b
May 10, 2011
I have a chance to pick up an 86 regal for really cheap money. It currently has a 305 in it. I've read a few different post about swapping a 350 into the 3.8L cars but not for a 305. I'm assuming the 305 would be alot easier but I figured I would ask for some advice before I go counting my eggs. My plan would be to put a 350 carborated short block in it. I know people had to have done this swap before so I'm looking for advice or at least for someone to point me in the right direction.

I'm also planning on doing a manual transmission swap. Haven't done much research on that but if someone knows where to look that would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
86Regal433 said:
I have a chance to pick up an 86 regal for really cheap money. It currently has a 305 in it. I've read a few different post about swapping a 350 into the 3.8L cars but not for a 305. I'm assuming the 305 would be alot easier but I figured I would ask for some advice before I go counting my eggs. My plan would be to put a 350 carborated short block in it. I know people had to have done this swap before so I'm looking for advice or at least for someone to point me in the right direction.

I'm also planning on doing a manual transmission swap. Haven't done much research on that but if someone knows where to look that would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!

If it's a Chevy 350, the externals are identical if it's the same gen block. Buick 350 is a different animal.

86Regal433

n00b
May 10, 2011
No it would be a chevy 350. My main concern would be exhaust and clearance. Aside from that I know I should be fine.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
if the 86 regal is in good shape for the money id say grab it up..my 79 cutlass had a buick 3.8 v6 in it stock and the hardest thing i had to do was swaping to sbc v8 frame mounts really and thats not to hard to do.. i swaped to a 305 and dident care for it so put in a 350 u shouldent have to do much of anything but put the 350 in the 305s place and hook it up and good. i built a 84 grand prix for my guy and it had stock a 305 and i put in a 79 350 out of a vette and uesed his stock exhaust sep for the pass side cuz the last back bolt wouldent line up so had to get a dif exhaust manifold for the pass side and thats the only thing that would work off the 305 it had stock..u souldent have any probs with clearance cuz the 305 and 350 is the same block size. had it done in 2 days only took that long cuz the old *ss barn i was working in dident have any power so no lights couldent work at night so had to wait for the next day it can be done within 24 hours if that if u kno what ur doing..if ur plaing on running long tube headers set the headers in place first in the bay b4 droping the motor in cuz ull more then likly have to pick the motor back up to get them in it i had to go form the top side with the pass headers and form under with the drivers header.. as for the manual transmission swap iv never done that one and id like some info on that myself

86Regal433

n00b
May 10, 2011
cutlass79 said:
if the 86 regal is in good shape for the money id say grab it up..my 79 cutlass had a buick 3.8 v6 in it stock and the hardest thing i had to do was swaping to sbc v8 frame mounts really and thats not to hard to do.. i swaped to a 305 and dident care for it so put in a 350 u shouldent have to do much of anything but put the 350 in the 305s place and hook it up and good. i built a 84 grand prix for my guy and it had stock a 305 and i put in a 79 350 out of a vette and uesed his stock exhaust sep for the pass side cuz the last back bolt wouldent line up so had to get a dif exhaust manifold for the pass side and thats the only thing that would work off the 305 it had stock..u souldent have any probs with clearance cuz the 305 and 350 is the same block size. had it done in 2 days only took that long cuz the old *ss barn i was working in dident have any power so no lights couldent work at night so had to wait for the next day it can be done within 24 hours if that if u kno what ur doing..if ur plaing on running long tube headers set the headers in place first in the bay b4 droping the motor in cuz ull more then likly have to pick the motor back up to get them in it i had to go form the top side with the pass headers and form under with the drivers header.. as for the manual transmission swap iv never done that one and id like some info on that myself

Thanks for the info. I'll def let you know if I find anything out on the transmission swap. I know some of the g body cars had 4 speeds in them, just not the regals. I almost bought an 83 cutlass with a 4 speed once. I'm sure its not hard but we'll see.

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
the 350/305 are externally the same. That is why people can get away with putting a 350 in a 305 and it can still pass inspections unless they look at the casting numbers.

I had a 3.8 in my Cutlass and the only thing you have to change is...

1. Motor mounts
2. Put in a bigger radiator and smaller fan shroud
3. Make sure you have a dual bolt pattern or Chevy style transmission
4. Run the gas line from the driver side to the passenger side.

The battery is already in the right place.

the "givens" that will also need to be done...
1. Get the accessory brackets off a SBC g body or similar
2. exhaust
3. A/C lines. If you want to keep your AC the condenser is on the wrong side. You will need to find a SBC Gbody and switch that out. Otehrwise you can leave it where it is and get custom hoses made that reach the compressor on the drivers side. BUT if you put in the serpentine belt system then you can use your 3.8 hoses in the seperentine compressor stock location.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
anthonychacon80 said:
the 350/305 are externally the same. That is why people can get away with putting a 350 in a 305 and it can still pass inspections unless they look at the casting numbers.

I had a 3.8 in my Cutlass and the only thing you have to change is...

1. Motor mounts
2. Put in a bigger radiator and smaller fan shroud
3. Make sure you have a dual bolt pattern or Chevy style transmission
4. Run the gas line from the driver side to the passenger side.

The battery is already in the right place.

the "givens" that will also need to be done...
1. Get the accessory brackets off a SBC g body or similar
2. exhaust
3. A/C lines. If you want to keep your AC the condenser is on the wrong side. You will need to find a SBC Gbody and switch that out. Otehrwise you can leave it where it is and get custom hoses made that reach the compressor on the drivers side. BUT if you put in the serpentine belt system then you can use your 3.8 hoses in the seperentine compressor stock location.
yeah with mine i alread had a bigger radiator out of my 83 trans and just uesed some wire ties to hold it in place it had stock a 200r4 trans and i went with a th400 that i already had sitting around so i had to swap yokes on the drive shaft and if its the buick 3.8 then yeah u do have to run the gas lines to the pass side swaping the motors mounts was the hardest part of it all and for the pullys iv got so much sbc parts i dident need to buy anything sep for the 350 and and new yoke the motor was only 200 bucks and 90 for the new yoke for the th400 i went form a buick 3.8 to a 305 that i got free to a 350 and only payed $290 to do it all if u dont count in the paint for the motor and i got a stock pile of new evey kind gaskets hoes bets and all the fluids u could ever need form a shop the went under all for free fild a fullsize truck 3 and a half times with stuff

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
cutlass79 said:
yeah with mine i alread had a bigger radiator out of my 83 trans and just uesed some wire ties to hold it in place it had stock a 200r4 trans and i went with a th400 that i already had sitting around so i had to swap yokes on the drive shaft and if its the buick 3.8 then yeah u do have to run the gas lines to the pass side swaping the motors mounts was the hardest part of it all and for the pullys iv got so much sbc parts i dident need to buy anything sep for the 350 and and new yoke the motor was only 200 bucks and 90 for the new yoke for the th400 i went form a buick 3.8 to a 305 that i got free to a 350 and only payed $290 to do it all if u dont count in the paint for the motor and i got a stock pile of new evey kind gaskets hoes bets and all the fluids u could ever need form a shop the went under all for free fild a fullsize truck 3 and a half times with stuff

Haha. OMG, I have a headache now trying to figure out what you just said. Periods...These things.>>>.............<< They help a LOT. ;-)

Sorry, I was an english tutor in college!

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
anthonychacon80 said:
cutlass79 said:

Haha. OMG, I have a headache now trying to figure out what you just said. Periods...These things.>>>.............<< They help a LOT. ;-)

Sorry, I was an english tutor in college!
lol sorry bout that.. i just typed it out and hit submit then thought i shouldah put a few periods in there.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If you are going from a Chevy 305 to a Chevy 350 the exhaust and accessory brackets and everything will be the same. The radiator will be just fine and the transmission will bolt right up.

Be sure that it is a Chevy 305 and not an Oldmobile 307 :!: They are both considered 5.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor