86 stock transmission problems (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
First off I'll start with "I don't know much about cars." I know what I got and that's all.

I acquired a 1986 elky from my mechanic last year at a good price of $2500, car was in excellent condition, rebuilt engine only had 16k miles on it and only a few body issues (cracks and a little rust).

However, I have always felt that the transmission behind the rebuilt 350 smallblock that's pushing it(which is out of an 81 corvette) wasn't all that great.

I recently went to our transmission guy and asked him what I could do to beef it up or whatnot. Well, he won't work on it because it's a 200(?). He said the only thing he would work on is a 350 turbo or a 700(r4 i'm guessing?). He said if I could acquire a 700 core he'd rebuild the transmission and a shiftkit and torque convertor.

My problem is that the 200 on my el camino is ******** out. I just put trans fluid in the other day and it still won't shift properly, I now have to do it manually from first to second, then put it into drive and pray it'll go into third.

Help?

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
A "200" 4-speed (200-4R) or 3-speed (200c)?

If it is a 200-4R, find another transmission guy. He is just admitting his incompitence. The 200-4R is a great transmission when built by a compitant shop. Visit a turbobuick board and inquire about shops in your area.

The 700-R4 handles only slightly higher HP/TQ from the factory, and is really a truck transmission originally. For anyone that argues it is better because it was used in the Corvette - just remind them that a GN (and even more so a GNX) would walk all over a Corvette at the time, and it used a 200-4R :)

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
that sounds more severe then what i had. Mine was slipping a little bit so I flushed it. put max life atf in it and put in Lucas transmission restore and it helped me alot. I had to rev the motor to get the transmission to hook up but now it locks in quick and strong.

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
85_SS said:
A "200" 4-speed (200-4R) or 3-speed (200c)?

If it is a 200-4R, find another transmission guy. He is just admitting his incompitence. The 200-4R is a great transmission when built by a compitant shop. Visit a turbobuick board and inquire about shops in your area.

The 700-R4 handles only slightly higher HP/TQ from the factory, and is really a truck transmission originally. For anyone that argues it is better because it was used in the Corvette - just remind them that a GN (and even more so a GNX) would walk all over a Corvette at the time, and it used a 200-4R :)

3 speed.

edit, I kinda hinted it in my first post when I said "I pray it'll go into third"

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
You most deff. have a TH-200C, unfortunately they are a garbage transmission. Built for mileage rather than strength. The cheapest and easiest fix for you would be getting a TH-350 core and having a shop build it. You can get a core for about $50 and they are one of the cheapest transmissions to build. It will be an easy swap. The length and bolt pattern is the same, so it won't be an issue with installation. You'll need to change the Detent cable (downshift cable) and move the speedo gear but that

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
Chevyman85 said:
You most deff. have a TH-200C, unfortunately they are a garbage transmission. Built for mileage rather than strength. The cheapest and easiest fix for you would be getting a TH-350 core and having a shop build it. You can get a core for about $50 and they are one of the cheapest transmissions to build. It will be an easy swap. The length and bolt pattern is the same, so it won't be an issue with installation. You'll need to change the Detent cable (downshift cable) and move the speedo gear but that

Yeah, as I was explaining what my transmission guy told me....

But my dad is trying to give me the four speed trans out of his 86 Monte Carlo SS, but I have NO CLUE what transmission came in those(stock) and that's another thing I'd like to find out.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
The trans in the SS will most likely be a 200r4 if you take it make sure you get the cross member too. it uses a different one the the th350.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Agreed that the 200c 3-speed is not worth fixing.

The trans from the SS will be a 200-4R if it is the original. If you have a floor shift, all the shift linkage is different as well, although you can make 3-speed parts work.

Otherwise, go for a TH350 - cheap and plentiful.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Free 200C

Not sure where you are located, but I am about to pull the original engine and trans out of my 81 Monte. It has the original 200C with 62,000 miles. If you can pick it up in the Detroit area its yours.

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
:!: UPDATE :!:

I just got a 700R4 and Torque Convertor for....

pause for excitement....

$100.

At this point most of you would say "Oh, it's probably broken." For those who think that, no. It's a perfect running transmission and all I need now is to take it to my transmission guy. It's out of a 1980's Chevy 1500 van...can't think of the name right now, however it wasn't the original transmission in the van. It backed up a 383 stroker, so I'm sure it'll handle my 350 easily.

Of course, it has four gears with overdrive, then when the T.C. kicks in, I heard it was pretty badass--ahem.

If you have any comments to help me on my way(as I said earlier, I don't know JACK sh*t about cars as I'd like to...though I am reading alot of instruction books and stuff...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor