86 stock transmission problems (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Is your trans guy fine with modifying the crossmember? - some shops don't like to get into custom work (there are aftermarket crossmembers for this install as well IIRC). I believe you will also have to shorten your driveshaft, although I can't recall how much - 3" seems to ring a bell.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
85_SS said:
Is your trans guy fine with modifying the crossmember? - some shops don't like to get into custom work (there are aftermarket crossmembers for this install as well IIRC). I believe you will also have to shorten your driveshaft, although I can't recall how much - 3" seems to ring a bell.
Yeah, the tail shaft is about 3" too long. Getting the drive shaft cut is easy but you'll need to take it to a driveline place to have it done right and balanced... trans shops won't get into that. Also you will need to replace or modify the crossmember. They also have different bolt patterns, so hopefully its the same as your motor. If it was off a SBC you should be fine. 700's are good transmissions. First gear is really low so you'll feel a snap off the line but they fall on their face going into second. Its a big gear drop! But good luck! When they are built right 700's are great 4 Spd transmissions. :D

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
I got you a replacement 200 transmission that was rebuilt already and was told that a B&M shift kit was installed, but don't know. $60 + shipping/pick up and it is your!!! Bought it for the GP, not knowing that it would not fit.... It is located in Pittsburgh (just off of rte 28).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor