86SS - High Speed Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
My original stock 86SS has around 90K miles. At HWY speeds there is a little body vibration. The tire shop says the tires are balanced but vibration could also be from the drums or the driveshaft. The transmission tailshaft bushing has looseness and the U joints are recent.
-could the tailshaft bushing being loose cause driveshaft vibration?
-could the age of the rear axle locating rubber bushings , the rear trans mount being compressed and the slight settling of the rear suspension cause the driveline angles to be off thus contributing to vibration.
I don't want to throw parts at it. I'm just at the diagnosing stage and it's still too cold to work on it.

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
My original stock 86SS has around 90K miles. At HWY speeds there is a little body vibration. The tire shop says the tires are balanced but vibration could also be from the drums or the driveshaft. The transmission tailshaft bushing has looseness and the U joints are recent.
-could the tailshaft bushing being loose cause driveshaft vibration?
-could the age of the rear axle locating rubber bushings , the rear trans mount being compressed and the slight settling of the rear suspension cause the driveline angles to be off thus contributing to vibration.
I don't want to throw parts at it. I'm just at the diagnosing stage and it's still too cold to work on it.
I would lean towards the bad tail bushing. The drive shaft is not being balanced correctly.
I had a drive shaft that was not balanced and it would vibrate between 55 and 65 mph.

Sent from my Vivo XL4 using Tapatalk

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Jacked up driveline angles are possible. So are bent axle flanges.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
The rear wheels spin true, u joints confirmed to be seated correctly, he balance weights on the driveshaft are in place.
I'll report back once temperatures warm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor