87 442 Turn Signal Switch Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhGee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2016
hey guys. Trying to fix my turn signal switch soon so I can ride again. Can anyone linke me to a replacement thread with pictures? I'm kinda a noob and terrible at reading how to fix things, I need pics or videos lol. I've searched here and the net and found resourceful information, but still am not confident. Thank you. Nick. -Chicago

Caso's86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2017
There are a few on YouTube that may help depending on your vehicle. Just replaced mine last year wasn't hard at all, and I'm no mechanic.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

OhGee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2016
There are a few on YouTube that may help depending on your vehicle. Just replaced mine last year wasn't hard at all, and I'm no mechanic.

I'm having the problem where my right blinker stays solid when I hit the brakes and am turning right. I bought the turn signal switch from AutoZone and I think is goes in the column. I can link a picture of what I have tomorrow when on a desktop.

I just don't know how to dig into it mechanically. I did see that video, and if that's the part I have to actually replace I'd be really happy. Thanks. nick.

Caso's86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2017
I'm having the problem where my right blinker stays solid when I hit the brakes and am turning right. I bought the turn signal switch from AutoZone and I think is goes in the column. I can link a picture of what I have tomorrow when on a desktop.

I just don't know how to dig into it mechanically. I did see that video, and if that's the part I have to actually replace I'd be really happy. Thanks. nick.
I had a similar problem a year ago. It ended up being the light bulb itself was corroded and shorting out. I hope it's as easy as a fix for you. Good luck!

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Curious , does your turn signal work(blink) when you have your foot off the brake in both left and right ? If so l would be looking else where. I would be looking at a short in the brake pod as already mentioned.
I just replaced my signal switch (86 olds)and you'll be pulling your steering column guts out to get at it. So best to be sure first !

OhGee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2016
I had a similar problem a year ago. It ended up being the light bulb itself was corroded and shorting out. I hope it's as easy as a fix for you. Good luck!

man oh man I hope its just that. ill grab a few more bulbs and swap them out tonight.

Curious , does your turn signal work(blink) when you have your foot off the brake in both left and right ? If so l would be looking else where. I would be looking at a short in the brake pod as already mentioned.
I just replaced my signal switch (86 olds)and you'll be pulling your steering column guts out to get at it. So best to be sure first !

Yes! that is exactly my problem. I already have the signal switch ready to go, I just don't know how to take apart the steering column.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yes! that is exactly my problem. I already have the signal switch ready to go, I just don't know how to take apart the steering column.

I put my money the switch is the problem. The brake lights and signal lights are controlled by the switch.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Go to U-tube and look up turn signal replacement there is a GM 70's part 1 to 3 its basically the same for your car. I just searched it 5 minutes ago.

OhGee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 27, 2016
Go to U-tube and look up turn signal replacement there is a GM 70's part 1 to 3 its basically the same for your car. I just searched it 5 minutes ago.

ok cool, I seen that video and wasn't sure if it was the same. but at the same time DAMN, now I gotta get some specialty tools and hope I can do it in a Saturday, I wanna ride!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
ok cool, I seen that video and wasn't sure if it was the same. but at the same time DAMN, now I gotta get some specialty tools and hope I can do it in a Saturday, I wanna ride!
The steering wheel puller and lock plate tool should be available on the loan-a-tool at your local parts store. If not, they are not terribly expensive....
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/lisle,57340,steering+wheel+lock+plate+tool,1000970
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/lisle,45000,steering+wheel+puller,339

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor