87 cutlass 305 alternator/battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
recently my 87 cutlass 305 started having charging issues. i cleaned all the contacts so thats eliminated, and i dont have a baattery load tester. basically whats happening is i start the car, and it'll be charging at 14.4, then randomly it'll go down to 13, and then eventually it'll drop to 12 volts and slowly begin to die. then out of no where jump back up to 14 again for awhile. so before i go and buy a new one, is there any possibility the battery has a bad cell, or does this sound like the brushes in the alternator are gone? im leaning towards the brushes but i think ill check out the water in the battery first. thanx for any advice!

Mathematic

Greasemonkey
Aug 19, 2009
Take it to autozone or someplace and get it tested or take it to someone to trace the current draw. Im not sure why its dying but follow your negative cable and if its hitting against something.This could be the cause of the drainage or it may have a bad cell like you stated. I had a similar problem. The car would run fine on start up but if i drove the car a lil and parked.. the battery would drain and i'd have to wait to start it up or i'd have to get a jump. I found out that my negative cable was rubbing against the frame and draining the battery. so i bought this breaker switch thingy..(sorry cant remember the exact name). this is just a quick fix until i have time to really get to the root of the problem..

then again, could my issue be the alternator?

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    795 KB · Views: 1,396

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
thanx man, i forgot the do free battery testing there.

burgundy83

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2010
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Mathematic said:
so i bought this breaker switch thingy..(sorry cant remember the exact name). this is just a quick fix until i have time to really get to the root of the problem..
That's just called a battery disconnect

Mathematic

Greasemonkey
Aug 19, 2009
burgundy83 said:
Mathematic said:
so i bought this breaker switch thingy..(sorry cant remember the exact name). this is just a quick fix until i have time to really get to the root of the problem..
That's just called a battery disconnect
:rofl:
I really need to leave the "Bob Marley" alone...dont knew why i couldn't remember that..

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
we all love "bob marley!! heres an update...i double checked the connections and they're good. it seems when i put the car in gear and the rpm drop, it gowns down to 12 volts and starts dying, but when i put it back in park and the rpm raise, it goes back around 13 volts...so im guessing its charging but the battery hooped and cant hold a charge. if anyone has info or if this sounds wrong, lemme know...

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i switched out the battery with another one and it turns out its still doing the same thing so i guess the alternators ****ed. im going to take it off today and see if i can get into and check the brushes and stuff. ive never had any luck cracking the pulley nut off without a impact gun tho, and i dont have one where the vehicle is so hopefully i dont sh*t my pants when i try an remove it with a 1/2 ratchet lol

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i was thinking about it and it shouldnt matter what your negative cables touching as long as its not anything with a positive charge...why would it cause you problems by touching the frame when i just read its a good idea to have a seperate ground for your frame and your engine...sounds crazy man...who told you to put that batt. disconnect on?

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
ya dont have to take pulley off to change or check brushes, take the small bolts out of back of alt, then pull apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor