87 Cutlass 442 starter not getting power but everything else has power and working

Status
Not open for further replies.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
Hi everybody I'm back here again needing some help I have 87 Olds Cutlass with a 72 Olds 350 swap brand new motor buddy of mine was trying to crank the motor and the starter got stuck when I pulled the terminal off it arc the reason I pull the terminal off because the starter was still spinning even with the key off I bought a new starter now I have no power to the starter but everything else has power in the car the wires are hooked up correctly I don't know what's wrong the computer was deleted on that vehicle before I had problems I don't know where to start

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the positive wire from the battery goes dirrectly to the starter solenoid The two wires with the fusible links that feed the power to the car make contact to the battery cable by being instaslled on the lug on the solenoid along with the battery cable. If you have power to the car then you must have power to the starter through the solenoid.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I have found that the fusible links at the starter are prone to breaking, given the age of the wiring in these cars. seems like handling them during starter changes often results in breakage of the now-brittle wires inside the insulation.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Remove the battery terminals, clean them off, and re-torque them down. I had a similar issue...without the starter run on...

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Maybe you have the trigger or 'S' wire on the wrong terminal on the solenoid. It's an easy mistake to make since most GM solenoids have two small studs on them. If you connect the 'S' wire to the wrong terminal the starter will not respond to the key. The terminal you want to connect to is usually marked 'S' on the solenoid. If you have it connected correctly check for 12V on the 'S' wire with a volt meter when the key is in the start position. If you have 12V, and the wire is on the correct terminal on the solenoid, then the problem is in the replacement starter. If no 12V, then the problem is in the switch or wiring. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor