BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I came home earlier, adjusted the idle, flashed the tune but it was still idling high like a vacuum leak. Our resident LS expert suggested a couple things to do, but had to stop to get my kids. I'll troubleshoot some later if time permits, but here is one of the videos I got....

Yup, always verify your mechanical settings first before farting around with the tune (something about chasing your tail).

Double check if I sent you my HP Tuners Running Airflow config.

Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Update: The LS tuning expert and I have been going back and forth on this idle issue. Motorheadmike found a probable issue with the IAT sensor. The original tune is set to open loop, and for some reason it screwed up the IAT settings. He found the problem, sent me the correct info, I made the changes and flashed the ECM.
It was dry earlier so I started the car. This video shows it ECM trying to learn and it caught up, was idling and chugging perfect. Soon after the video it started the high idle again like a vacuum leak. Cont....
Scratching my head, Mike sent me a link about China throttle bodies. I decided to swap the TPS and IAC sensors with know good Delco units I had here. Went to remove the TPS and it came off like this!!!! Dang chinesium junk, but it gets better....
20200118_105427.jpg

The delco sensor wouldn't slide onto the throttle shaft due to tolerance issues, so I slightly filed it to work. Also, one of the TPS mounting bolts was loose, or so I thought! Damn threads in the TB are stripped! Gotta love china QC, meh just send it! Moral of the story, I need a new TB to replace my NEW TB, that's what I get for trying to save money! At least my girls enjoyed the rear seat while I pulled hair out!
20200118_113655.jpg
20200118_114130.jpg

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Back seats are one of the reasons people end up with kids to enjoy sitting in their new back seat. :)

I've always maintained that ACDelco (USA made stuff) is usually the better choice all the way around if you have a choice between that and chinesium. Another story to nail that point down.

• Agree
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am also now over the himfluenza and just held down my first full meal in three days!

And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
I have been wanting to post my ride on here for awhile now and, well, here it is. This is my 87 cutlass supreme that I've had for 14 years now....it has been through several transformations over the years going from the olds 307 to a sbc 355...then upgraded to efi about 8 years ago. But when i was planning some suspension upgrades in dec of '10 but brother n law decided to make a rash decision and kick the already rusting qp into a huge hole that the redo began! I hope everybody enjoys and please leave feedback i value the g body opinion!
87 Cutlass supreme, full body off resto including new qp's, roof skin, rockers, and driver side floor. Frame and underbody coated in por15 chassis cote black back in 2011, new prothane body bushings, bmr suspension front & rear. Sbc 355 with custom tuned holley efi stealth ram, 58mm tb, custom intake tubing.....the list goes on and on View attachment 44108 View attachment 44110 View attachment 44111 View attachment 44109
Looks fantastic! Nice ride!!

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Scott you can drill and tap that hole slightly larger using appropriate screw. Or if it's under warranty send tb back.
As to possible vac leaks, did you have your block decked at all? I don't remember. if you did maybe manifold isn't sealed properly to heads

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Scott you can drill and tap that hole slightly larger using appropriate screw. Or if it's under warranty send tb back.
As to possible vac leaks, did you have your block decked at all? I don't remember. if you did maybe manifold isn't sealed properly to heads
I'm actually drilling/tapping right now. Waiting on compressor to build air to blow the hole out. No other vacuum leaks present that I could find. The TPS not being completely seated though is a huge issue.

Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I learn my lesson all the time and I just can't help myself I still buy the cheapest parts i can find.

• Haha
  • Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor