BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Ok, let's start over since you don't believe me. Screw the fittings.. Which brake LINE is larger? Should be the one going to the rear of the master cylinder which in turn goes to the front brakes.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Ok, let's start over since you don't believe me. Screw the fittings.. Which brake LINE is larger? Should be the one going to the rear of the master cylinder which in turn goes to the front brakes.
Wellllllll.....I had issues with the stainless lines that go from master down to valve, so I'm using adapters and braided brake lines. On my master, the rear fitting is the larger of the two and I have it going to the rear already.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I just got back from ripping around a bit to see how the brakes feel from swapping vacuum sources only. I want to isolate the issue if possible instead of changing multiple things at once.
Tbh, the brakes feel better with the intake vacuum source than they did using the pump! I did some panic stops and such and it felt good. I looped onto the highway around the corner and quickly got to 70. I didn't hear the roar like I have been hearing. It rides a bit rough, but there is alot of poly on this car and everything is still basically new.
I'll consider it a win for today, and keep eyes/ears on it moving forward.

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
the brakes feel better with the intake vacuum source than they did using the pump!
Does your pump store reserve vacuum in a canister, if I remember correctly yours was in the trunk with just an on/off switch and not set up to sense vacuum from a source

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Does your pump store reserve vacuum in a canister, if I remember correctly yours was in the trunk with just an on/off switch and not set up to sense vacuum from a source
No. It was setup the way the instructions said. The hose went straight to the booster, but it did sense vacuum loss as it would build to stay at 22" of vacuum.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Also to note, I just went and checked the setup on the stock master and it's as depicted by Mike earlier. The larger fitting is on the front which goes to rear, smaller on rear closest to booster which powers front. I'm sure I'm overthinking it, just wanting to be sure I don't destroy parts and such.

Reactions: 1 users

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
Most stock type master cylinders have the rear port going to the front brakes.

If you don't have a hard pedal, you booster is holding vacuum.

Even though the booster may be holding a vacuum, that doesn't mean that it is not the cause of you having to pull the pedal back up with your foot.

Some aftermarket master cylinders can have the rear port going to the front brakes. I believe that Wilwood does this.

Smaller boosters produce less assist.

Larger boosters produce more assist.

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
After seeing Donovan post about waxing Olds Cool it dawned on me I've yet to wax my car since being painted, doh! So I checked with the expert and went to get a Mother's clay bar kit and some wax.
No joke, the detail spray that came with the clay bar smells like hot tamales and dang near had my eyes watering lol! Anyways, I went full Daniel son and clay bar'd and waxed the car tonight. It's nice and smooth now, and the wax definitely helped with the clarity some! Be nice to see it outdoors if the weather will cooperate.
That's it for now, here are a few pics as usual...
20210507_204040.jpg
20210508_004935.jpg
20210508_004912.jpg
20210508_004840.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 12 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
What ever became of the master cylinder brake line issue?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor