BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My goofy idea of welding the astro shaft solid instead of re peening it paid off. I previously posted the steps of making the upper shaft appear as one piece, and i think i pulled it off!
20170213_171143.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Came home to a big brown box sitting by my door....being a gearhead is like xmas all year when goodies show up lol!:D

Powerstop extreme rotors/pads woohoo! I believe i have everything needed now for the swap....just have to finish cleaning the calipers and get em painted. :banana:
20170214_163607.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Love updates!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Love updates!
This one's for you Jim! I ran a thin bead of high vibration RTV around the hub hole, then pressed in the hub hole caps..aka freeze plugs. Then put another small strip over the edge for good measure.

Thanks again for the tip, I'm sure it will keep any water out...the cutlass won't be a daily, but never know when a pop up shower can happen!
20170215_001020.jpg

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
So i finally threw in the towel trying to get the JY blazer calipers clean enough to paint! Even tried paint stripper and a wire brush, but no such luck.

If the cutlass was gonna be a daily, i wouldn't care much, just spray em and be done. But it's gonna be more of a street pounder/show car so i have to take that into account. Went to oreilly and got some new ones.
20170218_120236.jpg

While the paint is drying I'm gonna go back to cleaning up the taillight/reverse light bezels in prep for black.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Oh yeah....saw the cutlass yesterday for the first time in a couple months, talk about frustrated!:mad:
My bodyguy put it outside with a cover and tarp on it while he works on the other projects....he's got some sanding to do soon!

There is surface rust showing up on the trunk in a couple spots, drip rails, and a bunch of little bubbles all over the roof!!!

He said he wasn't worried about it, it will get fixed before the paint flies. I was hesitant to leave it outside and that's why, oh well....more sanding in my future!

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Score! Local oreilly had these for a whopping $1.67 total for two. Best part is when the lady asked me what i was looking for and i told her, she didn't pull the "what year, make, model, and name of your 1st born" rigamaro lol! Said "you need rubber or metal, and what size"!!! It's refreshing to know that there is still knowledge out there, not just a counter holder upper who can punch keys.

Anywho, ima try and pop these in later, hopefully they fit right! View attachment 60148

This one's for you Jim! I ran a thin bead of high vibration RTV around the hub hole, then pressed in the hub hole caps..aka freeze plugs. Then put another small strip over the edge for good measure.

Thanks again for the tip, I'm sure it will keep any water out...the cutlass won't be a daily, but never know when a pop up shower can happen! View attachment 60847

Seems I'm a little late on this but wouldn't a brass plug work better for rust prevention?

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Possibly, couldn't find a brass one the size i needed though. The hubs will get painted anyway so I'm not too worried.

Fair enough. Paint should prevent rust as well. I should have figured you would paint them. You paint everything! Lol Good to see you're making progress.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor