BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yeah, it's not cheap, but it's good stuff and has been around for awhile. I use it on my dash and plastic parts as well. It's not greasy like Armor All. Which reminds me...I need to pick up more myself. Most stores don't carry it, but I thin Pep Boys stocks it.

Lexol leather conditioner has been around for ages.

I guess you're going to split the lenses to put LED circuit boards in?
Still debating on doing the LED swap. They are $230 vs $40 for led bulbs. I already have the led 3rd brake light. I tried splitting them last night after soaking in scorching hot water, but 30 year old plastic is brittle!!! I tried using a razor blade to cut the caulk and that sh*t is like concrete!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Still debating on doing the LED swap. They are $230 vs $40 for led bulbs. I already have the led 3rd brake light. I tried splitting them last night after soaking in scorching hot water, but 30 year old plastic is brittle!!! I tried using a razor blade to cut the caulk and that sh*t is like concrete!
Yeah, I could understand the fear of screwing up a good pair of lenses. They don't come by too easily these days.
I might also consider LED bulbs...the LED circuit boards are alittle too rich my blood.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yeah, I could understand the fear of screwing up a good pair of lenses. They don't come by too easily these days.
I might also consider LED bulbs...the LED circuit boards are alittle too rich my blood.
For sure Jack. I've hunted around for a good set for several years...both NOS and very gently used and most used sets are going for $300+/pair:eek:!!!!
I figured I'd try to make mine as nice as possible and if down the road i come across a good deal then i will jump on it. Luckily, my cutlass has been decently taken care of over the years....besides the rust most of my oem parts are in great shape! Heck, my 30 year old dash has one little crack on a corner and that's it!

Reactions: 5 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
For sure Jack. I've hunted around for a good set for several years...both NOS and very gently used and most used sets are going for $300+/pair:eek:!!!!
I figured I'd try to make mine as nice as possible and if down the road i come across a good deal then i will jump on it. Luckily, my cutlass has been decently taken care of over the years....besides the rust most of my oem parts are in great shape! Heck, my 30 year old dash has one little crack on a corner and that's it!

Scott I'll watch for a pair for you....I picked up the pair pictured below last year. They were in great shape...I had a standing "order" for a nice set for a member so they didn't last long...

9nGjP7.jpg

and my selling price is no where near $300....

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The lenses are looking good Scott!

Just a little tip for ya:
I refurbished the ones on The Juggernaut years ago. I didn't want people to be able to guess the year of the car by the date codes stamped on the taillights, and didn't like those little tiny letters and numbers at the bottom either.
So as already mentioned, I wet sanded the face of the lenses with a block until they were perfectly smooth. This also took care of the minor surface scratches.

Here's the tip tho: If you have access to a full size electric polisher and pad, you can polish them back up to better than new in short order. As mentioned also, wheel polish works good, but also rubbing compound does too.

In fact, you can damn near treat them like a painted surface. Wet sand, then polish with rubbing compound, fine compound, swirl remover, etc etc.
The difference is, with the polisher you can put a little bit of heat into the lenses which helps break down the polish, and enhances the shine. Just be careful not to put TOO much heat into them, as the plastic can melt and smear if you're not careful. Low speed, light touch, and keep the heat low.

Also like paint, when you're done, a coat of wax helps to protect all your hard work.
I did this process on the 'Naut's taillights probably 15 years ago, and they STILL look better than new!

At any rate, looking good my friend. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to what you've got planned as far as the "little modification" on them!

Cheers
D.

Reactions: 5 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
You could also shoot some clear on them and wet sand and buff to add depth, but I prefer to just polish the sh*t out of my lenses. They're looking good tho, progress is progress!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Scott, I'm with Donavan, I treat the lenses like paint, sanding and polishing the same way.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also agree with the "D-man" and Jim on this...you treat it like a painted surface. A little compound after fine sanding the surface goes a long way. It's amazing how well they polish out. I've even used Weinol metal polish, which is a fine compound.

Deep scratches?....that's another ball of wax. It could probably be clearcoated with urethane, or something similar., and then buffed out again.

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The lenses are looking good Scott!

Just a little tip for ya:
I refurbished the ones on The Juggernaut years ago. I didn't want people to be able to guess the year of the car by the date codes stamped on the taillights, and didn't like those little tiny letters and numbers at the bottom either.
So as already mentioned, I wet sanded the face of the lenses with a block until they were perfectly smooth. This also took care of the minor surface scratches.

Here's the tip tho: If you have access to a full size electric polisher and pad, you can polish them back up to better than new in short order. As mentioned also, wheel polish works good, but also rubbing compound does too.

In fact, you can damn near treat them like a painted surface. Wet sand, then polish with rubbing compound, fine compound, swirl remover, etc etc.
The difference is, with the polisher you can put a little bit of heat into the lenses which helps break down the polish, and enhances the shine. Just be careful not to put TOO much heat into them, as the plastic can melt and smear if you're not careful. Low speed, light touch, and keep the heat low.

Also like paint, when you're done, a coat of wax helps to protect all your hard work.
I did this process on the 'Naut's taillights probably 15 years ago, and they STILL look better than new!

At any rate, looking good my friend. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to what you've got planned as far as the "little modification" on them!

Cheers
D.

Scott, I'm with Donavan, I treat the lenses like paint, sanding and polishing the same way.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I also agree with the "D-man" and Jim on this...you treat it like a painted surface. A little compound after fine sanding the surface goes a long way. It's amazing how well they polish out. I've even used Weinol metal polish, which is a fine compound.

Deep scratches?....that's another ball of wax. It could probably be clearcoated with urethane, or something similar., and then buffed out again.

Thanks guys for the advice! Once i get done doing some subtle mods to the emblem areas, and i feel that part is done i will rework them as painted parts. Luckily, i still have some cushion time before the cutlass gets its bath of color because i realized yesterday i have more parts to prep than expected! One thing at a time, check off, move to the next!

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Thanks guys for the advice! Once i get done doing some subtle mods to the emblem areas, and i feel that part is done i will rework them as painted parts. Luckily, i still have some cushion time before the cutlass gets its bath of color because i realized yesterday i have more parts to prep than expected! One thing at a time, check off, move to the next!
It never ends I don't think there ever really finished. I also treat lenses like painted parts at work insurance companies won't always pay for new lights and I treat them like I'm doing body work if there really bad I grab a da with 220 or even 180 nock out the bad spots and drop to a finer grit until I'm wet sanding with 3000 then I buff them out just like a bad paint job. It's only a taillight don't be scared

• Useful

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor