BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I do the lenses as well. I did my parking lights on the wagon, the headlights on my HHR, and the headlights on my daughter's Monte Carlo SS. I used to paint buffing compound from 3M, on foam pads to polish after I'm done sanding

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I do the lenses as well. I did my parking lights on the wagon, the headlights on my HHR, and the headlights on my daughter's Monte Carlo SS. I used to paint buffing compound from 3M, on foam pads to polish after I'm done sanding

Sweet! I will add that knowledge along with what Donovan and Clutch suggested to this noodle of mine. I stopped at 2k grit, but what's another 2 rounds when I'm this far in!
Thanks for the tip Jim!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Not a problem, I go that fine and it leaves a dull shine on the lens. And polishing takes little to no effort.

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
That stuff works good
Yeah it does! I've used i honestly don't know know many of the 3m discs through the process of my resto. They aren't cheap per se, but quality matters over some knock off brand that falls apart as soon as you start....i had to learn the hard way years ago!

I will have to get some 3k and 5k and give it a shot. Finally back home for the night, unusual for me but killed a bottle of Jameson with my brother n law and ready to start on the other taillight woohoo :friday:!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Alrighty....the humidity was low enough for me to paint my taillight surrounds for the 2nd time(got a couple bugs stuck the other day, wet sanded the bugs away). Again, i used SEM trim black as it sprays and flashes very nicely!

I was able to get 3 good coats and no bugs woohoo! However, i did get a little run on the pass side piece. I will check it out after curing, and if need be i will wet sand it out and hit it again.

All in all, they look really good and should make the taillights pop once i finish them up!
DS-SURROUND1.jpg
DS-SURROUND2.jpg
Pass-tailsurround.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well i got my taillights wet sanded up to 5000 grit! I'm pretty much out of daylight though so polishing will have to wait until tomorrow....might give it a go later by porch light lol!

I know there are some cracks, but as previously stated...they are within the layer of plastic....the top of the lenses are as slick as glass!
20170703_210137.jpg

• Winner

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
It seems all I've done the past several days is sand lights geez! I've got both reverse lights knocked down to 400....
20170702_235431.jpg

Tonight i got out the rear marker lights and went to town. I knocked the lettering off with 220, then 320 and 400 again.
20170705_231724.jpg

Then the normal process of wet sanding from 600 up. However, mother nature started to unzip the clouds so i wet sanded with 800 and 1000 as it started raining!
20170705_233911.jpg
20170706_012948.jpg

I'm liking the progress, just the tedious time spent for subtle mods is very boring!

Oh yeah, and for sh*^$ and giggles I put a taillight surround on just to get an idea. I really like how they are turning out.
20170704_164131.jpg

Whatcha guys think???

• Winner

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Looking good man. Anything worth doing is worth doing right and to get good results sometimes it takes a lot of time and effort. You're making progress just keep at it. If you figure your time and materials is gonna be cheaper than the ridiculous cost of Cutlass tail lights then you'll come out ahead. I can't believe how expensive those lights are. You'd think they were for some super rare car or something.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I had some time this evening to finish wet sanding the rear marker lights. Thanks to Jim suggesting going to 5000 grit, i now have popeye arms lol!!!!!

Seriously, these lights are small so it didnt take long. After 5k wet, i hand polished with enough force to cut the polish pretty good. They are officially done, and i can move on to the other lights. The humidity is supposed to be low this weekend, so I'm going to try and have more stuff ready to paint!

I think the results speak for themselves. These suckers are as slick as glass!!!
20170707_001916.jpg
20170707_002946.jpg
20170707_004903.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor