87 cutlass engine swap recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

87.cutty

n00b
May 1, 2020
I have an 87 Cutlass Supreme and was thinking about swapping the engine for more power (approximately 500-600) any recommendations on what to swap it with?

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Depends on your budget and mechanical abilities. No matter how you slice it 5 to 6 hundred horsepower is not going to be cheap regardless of what some "expert" says on the internet.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Alright, lemme be real for a minute. Here lately there have been guys messaging me on Instagram asking this similar question. "I need 500hp" or "how can I get 500hp?"
Horsepower isn't cheap, usually about $1K per 100 hundred horses, but that doesn't tie in the other mods that need to be done to support said horsepower.
Is 500 possible? Absolutely it is. Grab a junkyard LS and slap a swirly boi on it and away you go. However, at that power level you have to upgrade injectors, or big *ss carb if running one, fuel supply needs to be ready, trans, etc.
Also, 500hp if street driven is stupid power for 90% of driving, most of the time you're not in the powerband to even enjoy it.
Be honest with yourself, mechanical aptitude, etc on what you can be happy with. If you're having a shop do a swap, you need to almost double that budget.
I can't stress this enough, DO YOUR HOMEWORK, RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Start at the rear end and work forward.
Beef up the rear end or swap. Beef up driveshaft or swap. Beef trans or swap.
Then the frame itself and everything bolted to it.

Brakes.

Suspension.

Wheels. Tires.

THEN get a 500hp engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I have an 87 Cutlass Supreme and was thinking about swapping the engine for more power (approximately 500-600) any recommendations on what to swap it with?
5-600 at the crank or tire? An lq9 with a cam should make 500 crank hp. If your goals are whp, then a 4.8/5.3 truck motor with 7875 turbo will get you there (check out the sloppy mechanics "don't BS me build").

Reactions: 1 users

kygaca

Apprentice
Jul 3, 2018
Annapolis, MD
I agree with both MrSony and Injectedcutty. As for what MrSony is saying: I think it would be best to upgrade the rear end first, you'll definitely notice a difference. Also keep in mind the transmission. Right now I am rebuilding an engine which should be around 400 or less hp, and it is going to absolutely destroy the stock TH2004r that is behind it, so keep in mind the cost for that.
Also for what Injectedcutty is saying: 500 hp is wicked high for a GBody - especially if you're not gonna do other necessary upgrades. These are - compared to modern cars - light cars. 500 hp is wicked fast and unnecessary unless you wanna take it to the track.
Another consideration would be time. It may be faster (and more successful) if you buy a blueprint motor or one professionally rebuild from a reputable shop in your area. Some shops have projects that have been abandoned and they may sell them for cheaper.
Just my 2 cents.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
500+ hp is asking a lot from a G body. In stock form and mint condition with ad on bracing a G body can barely take 400 hp. More than 400 hp is going to require major reinforcing such as boxing the frame, or even a stronger aftermarket frame, plus brake upgrades, suspension upgrades, driveshaft upgrades, etc. That is not considering the frame or body likely will require some rust repair.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
500+ hp is asking a lot from a G body. In stock form and mint condition with ad on bracing a G body can barely take 400 hp.

Wisdom here. This is where I am at but keep in mind that you need to hook to destroy things. Most of the time the rear tires are smoking. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor