87 cutlass headlight problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
I just got a 87 cutlass supreme an I'm having a problem with my headlights. I try to click from low to hi but it won't do it at all I don't even hear the click sound. Just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I too have an 87 cutlass, however the columns are pretty much the same in all g bodies. That said it could be a couple things. Either the rod mechanism isn't engaged into the slot that closes the switch to turn on the high beams (this is the audible click you would usually hear). Or up in the bell of the column that same rod has detached from the linkage somehow. It could also be the switch mounted on the shaft of the column that has gone bad. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas. Hope this helps get you in the light....i mean right direction!
Scott.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The dimmer switch is down low on the driver's side of the steering column. There is a rod that connects the multi-function lever to the dimmer switch inside the steering column. It could be the dimmer switch is broken, it could be loose, allowing the rod to slip off, or there could be a problem up at the multi-function lever (turn sgnal/wiper switch/cruise switch/dimmer). I think you can see the dimmer switch if you lay in the floorboard and look up at the lower driver's side of the column. Google it for a picture so you know what you are looking for. There is likely a youtube video on it since that style steering column was used in numerous GM cars of that era.

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
The dimmer switch is down low on the driver's side of the steering column. There is a rod that connects the multi-function lever to the dimmer switch inside the steering column. It could be the dimmer switch is broken, it could be loose, allowing the rod to slip off, or there could be a problem up at the multi-function lever (turn sgnal/wiper switch/cruise switch/dimmer). I think you can see the dimmer switch if you lay in the floorboard and look up at the lower driver's side of the column. Google it for a picture so you know what you are looking for. There is likely a youtube video on it since that style steering column was used in numerous GM cars of that era.
Thank you I'll try that

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
I too have an 87 cutlass, however the columns are pretty much the same in all g bodies. That said it could be a couple things. Either the rod mechanism isn't engaged into the slot that closes the switch to turn on the high beams (this is the audible click you would usually hear). Or up in the bell of the column that same rod has detached from the linkage somehow. It could also be the switch mounted on the shaft of the column that has gone bad. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas. Hope this helps get you in the light....i mean right direction!
Scott.
Thank you

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Now that I'm in front of a computer, here's a decent video that will give you an idea what to look for. It is on an old C10 Chevy truck but the column and the switch are very similar.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Here's a better video, g-body specific.....

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
Yea I got to the switch thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    940 KB · Views: 348
Reactions: 1 user

Rudy913

G-Body Guru
Feb 26, 2016
New Orleans
I have a 1982 Montel Carlo
My headlights won't work I think this is the reason where can I order the part from if it is broken ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor