87' Cutlass Salon

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2018
Hello everyone. Just joined and have a few questions. I recently aquired a black with burgundy interior, t top and bucket seats 87 Cutlass Salon, one owner, 49k mile car. Been in storage since 04. Car has never seen snow... a rarity where im from (Erie,PA). The original owner had taken the car for an oil change in 04 and the shop did not tighten drain plug in oil pan. 60 miles later, boom. Engine rolls over but bearings are toast. Being that the factory 307 is not very high in power do you think I am going to hurt the value of the car by dropping a 350 rocket in it? I have been following the g body for a little bit now and have noticed a definite increase in value. Im really on the fence of whether or not to rebuild and keep it original or do a nice clean factory look swap. Any info would be much appreciated.
Also, does anyone know production #s with t tops and possibly color combos? I can't seem to find one like mine.

Attachments

• Message_1525545919097.jpg
    Message_1525545919097.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 183
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I guess the G body is different in your area, they are worth nothing here, unfortunately. Find a good 76 or older Olds 350 and rebuild it, although I still find very good, mid 70's runners. Definitely upgrade from the factory lame cam, Cloyes billet roller timing set and use a set of the modern forged pistons, not the Speedpro's. The cast replacement pistons have huge dish's and are short on height, unless you want 6 or 7 to 1 compression. Are you running the factory CCC carb and distributor?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Shouldn't hurt value a bit. If it's a concern, just slide the original 307 under the bench so you still have the option.

And welcome.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
May 6, 2018
I want to keep it looking stock. So yes I will be keeping all stock components. Including A/C

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You will want to stay around 9 to 1 and most and stay conservative on the cam. Something like the Lunati 207/207 ..461/.461 112 LSA.

Reactions: 1 user

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
You may be helping the value. Most g bodies are not great restore and bring value cars. So you are not hurting the value at all.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I want to keep it looking stock. So yes I will be keeping all stock components. Including A/C

You will detract from the value if the swap is done poorly and with lack of attention to detail. Keeping it looking stock is a good plan (avoid cheap chrome valve covers, 4" diameter chrome air breather, neon spark plug wires and other poor quality aftermarket junk, etc)

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. I would think a well executed swap to an Olds 350 would enhance the car's value. If done with a lot of attention to detail, I dare say it would be difficult for most to detect that the swap had been done.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor