87 cutlass starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
my 87 cutlass is making a single click noise when I try to crank it up I figure it's the starter I replaced the battery. Is it hard to take starter off an install a new one any suggestions

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If you pull the starter have it tested before you replace it. I'm wondering if you are having trouble with the neutral safety switch since you have another thread where you say the ignition lock cylinder won't rotate back to the lick position.

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
If you pull the starter have it tested before you replace it. I'm wondering if you are having trouble with the neutral safety switch since you have another thread where you say the ignition lock cylinder won't rotate back to the lick position.
Where is the neutral safety switch

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
At the base of the steering column. It's purpose is to only allow the engine to crank when the shifter is in park or neutral. Try shifting the car into neutral (set the parking brake, use common sense) and see if it will turn over.

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
At the base of the steering column. It's purpose is to only allow the engine to crank when the shifter is in park or neutral. Try shifting the car into neutral (set the parking brake, use common sense) and see if it will turn over.
Yea I tried it didn't work it's so much stuff down there

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 207

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Test before you tear down. With the car in park and the key off connect the positive lead of a volt meter to the 'S' wire where it connects to the starter. It is the small wire. Connect the negative lead of the volt meter to the ground side of the battery. Set the volt meter on the DC Volts setting. Have an assistant turn the key to start and check for 12 volts on the volt meter. If you have 12 volts there then it's time to remove and test the starter. While you are checking out the 'S' wire, make sure both connections at the starter are tight.

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
Test before you tear down. With the car in park and the key off connect the positive lead of a volt meter to the 'S' wire where it connects to the starter. It is the small wire. Connect the negative lead of the volt meter to the ground side of the battery. Set the volt meter on the DC Volts setting. Have an assistant turn the key to start and check for 12 volts on the volt meter. If you have 12 volts there then it's time to remove and test the starter. While you are checking out the 'S' wire, make sure both connections at the starter are tight.
Just took starter to be tested they say it's good bout to go make sure all my lines are tight an clean some of the connection they were full of oil an things hopefully that's the fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor