BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I have to admit i looked at that trans on the engine stand and said to myself "why exactly have i never done that??" All these years of transmissions on tables...

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have to admit i looked at that trans on the engine stand and said to myself "why exactly have i never done that??" All these years of transmissions on tables...
I have to say I can't take credit for it. Donovan suggested it when I was trying to figure out how to work on it. I can't justify spending the money on the tool that holds it, and don't have a welder, etc.
For doing just the shift kit this way will work great, but I wouldn't be able to tear the trans down with it mounted like this.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My cousin happens to be a welder. Years ago he had to rebuild his transmission in his truck and made a side saddle deal out of some scrap steel which held the transmission sideways on the engine stand. It was a torquflite, but I didn't hold that against him. I considered him a genius for making that rig. Pretty cool. He could spin the transmission around wherever he needed it to either pull the guts, put them back in, flip it over and put the valve body bits together.

He was a big Mopar fan and I always feigned that I didn't know jack about Chrysler stuff so I never got asked to help other than just hand him a tool or two. I drank many of his beers watching him work and jaw-jacking the evening away in his garage. Admit to nothing, act like you don't know sh*t, and you can get out of having to do a lot of free labor. :)

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Can't wait to see this rig move under its own power. I'm sure you can't either!

• Agree

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Can't wait to see this rig move under its own power. I'm sure you can't either!
Not at all man, it's been 3ish years since it was running with the 355! It takes me longer than some due to various reasons, but even my girl's are excited (neither the 8 or 4 year old has rode in it.).

My 8 yr old saw the engine in it yesterday and got excited which helps boost my motivation and momentum. What doesn't help is the long nights are catching up and I woke up feeling like crap!!! Oh well, part of the process.

Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I am not a welder, nor do I endorse my welding advice. BUT I made this out of scrap and it worked. Bolted it to my engine stand so I could rotate the trans.

Cost 1 hour of my time, had the scraps from stuff that I scavenged from the yard at work that was rusting in a corner. Just make sure that you have an adjustable stop where the peice of square is in the middle or the trans will swing, it's scary when it does that on a rotation.

20190108_193239.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Ok Scott I'm all caught up and waiting for my next installment. By the way the wheels look awesome and so dose the rest of the car.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Ok Scott I'm all caught up and waiting for my next installment. By the way the wheels look awesome and so dose the rest of the car.
Thanks for checking in Eric, and thanks for the compliments. I'm currently working on the shift kit which has been fighting me a bit (that's par for the course for me). Hoping to have it finished tomorrow(need a couple roll pins and different size drill bits).

Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Made decent progress again. I got the shift kit 90% done! I just need to pickup the right size drillbits for the separator plate, then reassemble this turd!
I have to give a shout out to MotorheadMike...he posted a trick he used to aid the install of the boost valve and it definitely helped a bunch!!! Thanks again Mike for sharing your knowledge, that's why this forum is GREAT!!!! Time to crash, and hopefully button this 80E up tomorrow.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Made decent progress again. I got the shift kit 90% done! I just need to pickup the right size drillbits for the separator plate, then reassemble this turd!
I have to give a shout out to MotorheadMike...he posted a trick he used to aid the install of the boost valve and it definitely helped a bunch!!! Thanks again Mike for sharing your knowledge, that's why this forum is GREAT!!!! Time to crash, and hopefully button this 80E up tomorrow.

Don't you dare implicate me in being "helpful"! Just think of what it could do to my reputation?

We're all waiting for full send on this thing. Carry on. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor