BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Maybe I should just get the steel lines then since mine will be a fair weather car. I am going to do line lock so I will have to tap into the lines.
As far as fitting the tach in, I was thinking of doing something like this: View attachment 44123
I didnt need stainless, just knew they wont rust. I like that cluster idea that is pretty clean.
20140505_173617.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Your lines look good. I might still do them.
I'm definately gonna do something like that dash so I can fit my tach in there.
Those are obviously the braided lines, i bought npt -an adapter fittings for the master cylinder and valve....the lines are premade teflon braided brake lines from russell perf. The rest of my stainless lines fit pretty well and brakes work great with addition of braided lines on the front wheels and the trunk mounted vacuum pump from summit. With that pump my brakes work as good as my 07 mazda 6 daily driver!
0330151926.jpg

• Informative

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Yeah I saw they were braided. They still looked good. I did end up buying the stainless lines. I still have to get a disc/disc proportioning valve.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yeah I saw they were braided. They still looked good. I did end up buying the stainless lines. I still have to get a disc/disc proportioning valve.
Sweet, you will love the lines...if you get the brass prop valve just be easy on tightening the fittings if i can give advice! The front to rear line does take some finesse if you have to unbend it.

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Sweet, you will love the lines...if you get the brass prop valve just be easy on tightening the fittings if i can give advice! The front to rear line does take some finesse if you have to unbend it.
It did say in the reviews about bending the long line back. I was planning on the brass prop valve so I will be careful with both.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well guys it's been a long time coming! I have been grinding away on this cutlass for 4 years and only being able to work on it 1-2 days a week makes it feel like forever!!!! From the original teardown, to prepping the underbody and frame and painting it, to putting on all new suspension and body bushings, all brake lines and fuel lines, redoing most of the wiring by soldering everything. As most of you guys know, it gets exhausting but then yesterday came and i got to load my cutlass supreme up and send it off to body and paint. It was supposed to go back in April but my guy was working on a 71 challenger so i got my motor running, somewhat tuned and did some short test drives to make sure all systems were up too par! Then the block cracked and i went backwards. At least its on its way to get done up right now. Sorry for the long post, just super excited to see this day come!!!!!
20151030_123809.jpg
20151030_124530.jpg

And now at the bodyman's house woohoo!!!
20151030_125638.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I now realized in my original post that i was somewhat vague in the description of my 87 cutlass supreme so i will try to fill in some blanks. First off, this site and the people on here have helped tremendously over the years on ideas...it seemed if i googled something, gbody forum was at the top of searches. I have followed andrews efi 455 build among many others. Now for my cutlass. I bought it from elderly neighbors when i was 17 and starting college...bone stock split bench with the 307 and 200-4r and 7.5" rear. I drove it daily like that for a couple years when i had enough of the wore out motor and decided to do a swap. Original intentions were to put a BBO 455 in it but i quickly realized it would be 3 times more than a sbc355....so thats the route i went. Had a potent 355 built with good parts and a tci th350 behind it. Quickly learned what the g body shuffle was about when playing around at the local 1/8 mile track! Stock suspension, bfg radial ta's made for horrible wheel hop and spitting rust out of the rotting quarters lol!

It has been along time since then when i caught the efi bug and did the swap. I pieced it together and it cost me a bunch but the throttle response and added power made up for it. I did it in my parents driveway and by the pic yall can see i kinda threw it together but it worked!
FB_IMG_1446952704590.jpg

i drove it like this until december of 2011 when the real work began. As stated my brother n law made the whole in my qp way bigger with his foot and he promised to be the main fundraiser for the resto. We took the vinyl top off and saw the ugliness that lurked underneath....our bodyman pleaded i find a good roof lol!! For a few days anyway i had a somewhat convertible cutlass
FB_IMG_1446952432202.jpg

Needless to say, like many of yall here, its been an uphill battle trying to get this car the way i want it with custom touches everywhere, rust repair, etc but thats also part of the fun of doing what we do!

Front: BMR upper a arms, factory lowers with bew poly bushings and ball joints, hotchkis springs and koni adj shocks, bmr swaybar, all new moog steering components and new billet adjuster sleeves, powerstop drilled rotors and Goodridge braided brake lines front and rear.
FB_IMG_1446952573099.jpg

all kinds of holes and panels were filled in to smooth the appearance of everything.

Rear: 85 H/O 8.5" rear with factory 3.73 installed and added a powertrax unit, bmr tubular upper and boxed lower control arms, hotchkis mount braces and springs, koni adj shocks...still need the swaybar but thats an easy install! Here is a pic of the rear after stainless lines were added and painted.
2013-02-01 16.31.35.jpg

i have also put new poly body bushing on her and man what a difference!! After getting the motor running i was able to drive it around the block some and it is stiff as hell but i love it!! Then my old motor died in july so i have to get a new 355 built for it hopefully soon! At least i know that when its done i sure hope to turn heads because here in louisville the cutlass is known for lowriders, drag cars, or stockers so i try to stay on the edge of a restomod! Keep the feedback coming guys i value the insight for sure, Scott.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Nice job and nice car. It looks as if you're putting the time into it.

What are you using for engine management? And where is it on the chassis(I ddn't see it)?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Nice job and nice car. It looks as if you're putting the time into it.

What are you using for engine management? And where is it on the chassis(I ddn't see it)?
I am running the 7730 speed density ecm with a tpis level 4 prom, then tied into the 6al box and factory wiring. All electronics are mounted behind the firewall to keep the engine bay clutter free. I hope one day to upgrade to a standalone ecm to make tuning simpler, or get the moates adapters and tune that route. Here is an engine bay pic after the motor died in july showing only the necessary wiring for the efi! Took a crap ton of time to hide the wires but the end result has been pleasing to the eye i believe! I dont have a rear swaybar yet but it can be installed in no time if thats what you mean. Thanks for looking i am proud to see the cutlass get this far and i can say my brother n law and myself did it and didnt shop it out for everything!
20150809_161739.jpg
20150308_185739.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor