BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
As my luck usually goes I tend to move back as much as forward. I forgot to install the dipstick prior to trans install, so I've been fighting that. I thought my shifter would work with the 80E, but it won't....need to remove and sell to help fund the purchase of a new one.

I did order and receive a 92mm throttle body which is massive compared to stock, but upon mockup I noticed the linkage stop is hitting the Holley intake. Therefore, I'll need to clearance that ugh!!
Lastly, i picked up the intake I used on the 355, and used some light tack masking tape to mount it for sh*ts and giggles lol!!! It likely won't be practical on the LS due to running a MAF, but we'll see.
20190202_115152.jpg
20190203_182426.jpg

That's it for now, alot work needing to be done on the house due to a major water leak yesterday so Cutty time will be limited.

Reactions: 6 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Sooooo, I made a midnight trip to walmart for paint, plastic, ATF, and a large coffee from the golden arch to give me a much needed boost!!! It's now 0215hrs and the trans is freshened up.

Yeah. I don’t know what it is about McDonald’s coffee. I swear they spike it with extra caffeine. Whenever I really need a kick in the pants, I know where to go. ☕️😳😄

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I hate to say it... but that trans has to come back out to get the dipstick in. Also, you are going to want 3.5" to 4" pipes going to that TB.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I hate to say it... but that trans has to come back out to get the dipstick in. Also, you are going to want 3.5" to 4" pipes going to that TB.
Damn, had a feeling that would be the case. The other dipstick issue could be clearance between the head and firewall. I know for a fact right now it won't clear with the 1" setback mounts. If I move the engine forward then the trans mount misses the x member. If it's not one thing it's another!

On the piping, I was just farting around. When the time comes it will be changed. Fwiw, that setup is twin 3" going to the 4" then to the TB.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I don't think I'd recommend the Lokar flexible 4L80e dipstick, if you did decide to go with aftermarket. I'm not super happy with mine for the money it cost.
Good to know Duke. I almost bought one, but hard to justify 3x the cost of the summit unit. I knew I was to install prior to trans going in, but slipped my mind. Might be a blessing though since I have to remove the shifter(bolts are PITA with trans in the way).

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Good to know Duke. I almost bought one, but hard to justify 3x the cost of the summit unit. I knew I was to install prior to trans going in, but slipped my mind. Might be a blessing though since I have to remove the shifter(bolts are PITA with trans in the way).
Shifter bolts.... Uh oh..... 🙁

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Damn, had a feeling that would be the case. The other dipstick issue could be clearance between the head and firewall. I know for a fact right now it won't clear with the 1" setback mounts. If I move the engine forward then the trans mount misses the x member. If it's not one thing it's another!

On the piping, I was just farting around. When the time comes it will be changed. Fwiw, that setup is twin 3" going to the 4" then to the TB.

Hey, I did the same thing when I put the 4L80E - I just don't think I mentioned it. I f*ck up a lot - part of the process. You may even find you need to tweak the bracket/tube once it goes up again and again.

I am whacked out on cold meds right now... so I totally missed the second tube and filter on the far side. Dual 3" in is plenty. I am guessing you are going MAF-less/Speed Density with your tune?

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Scott might I suggest nut-certs for the installation of the new shifter. That way you can take the shifter out without removing the transmission in the future. I don't know if you know what they are but you can buy a kit it's like a pop rivet gun that puts threaded nuts in sheet metal
Screenshot_20190204-230553.png

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor