BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Will do. And to add to the convo what was a pain in the *ss for me is that mine use those dumb little shoulder bolts that are a weird thread and are 30$ for four. And BOY do they break easily.
Ouch, $30!!! Are they made of some exotic titanium or some sh*t geez lol! Just metric thread shoulder bolts right? Probably get them cheaper from fastenal, mcmaster carr, etc.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ouch, $30!!! Are they made of some exotic titanium or some sh*t geez lol! Just metric thread shoulder bolts right? Probably get them cheaper from fastenal, mcmaster carr, etc.
At the time i couldn't find them but they might have em now.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
At the time i couldn't find them but they might have em now.
Gotcha, i was a manager at fastenal for a couple years but got canned over some BS! I still have a couple good relationships with a few managers and get discounts. If you wanna measure them at some point (no rush) just send me the measurements and/or a pic and i will see what price is out there.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Gotcha, i was a manager at fastenal for a couple years but got canned over some BS! I still have a couple good relationships with a few managers and get discounts. If you wanna measure them at some point (no rush) just send me the measurements and/or a pic and i will see what price is out there.
Cool. Will do.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Still digging through old build pics and found some more. I always wanted to put a spoiler on the trunk but was never 100% sold on the hurst style pedestal mount, but loved the look of the lay down style monte ss spoiler. Got one a few years back, i knew the general angle of the cutlass and monte trunk is the same so i knew it would be a good fit. However, i did have to notch the ends to clear the taillights and I'm still torn on whether to chop them off or not! The side angle has a nice flow but it covers the top of the taillight. Damn the decisions....i have a close deadline on what to do now since my bodyguy wants to throw some primer on it soon. Anywho, here is a couple pics.
20140308_202555.jpg
20140316_112050.jpg
20140316_112100.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I definitely didn't go as crazy as Hafrod did on the core support, but i took it down to metal as good as possible, etched it and put a couple coats of POR15 on to compliment the firewall, frame and inner fenders. Instead of using the factory style hardware i wanted something stainless and better looking. Working in the fastener business for several years allowed me to blend my design skills with real world options for a family guy trying to build a show quality ride on a budget. I didn't want to shell out the $$$ for the billet specialties finishing washers so i out my sourcing skills to the test. I found a guy on ebay making and selling billet aluminum finishing washers for metric flat head bolts, i then purchased the factory metric sized bolts from work and wow what a difference a small upgrade makes. I am using these for the fenders as well and anywhere i can to compliment the black paint.
20131229_085751.jpg
20131229_125733.jpg
20131231_120729.jpg
20140203_165110.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Still digging through old build pics and found some more. I always wanted to put a spoiler on the trunk but was never 100% sold on the hurst style pedestal mount, but loved the look of the lay down style monte ss spoiler. Got one a few years back, i knew the general angle of the cutlass and monte trunk is the same so i knew it would be a good fit. However, i did have to notch the ends to clear the taillights and I'm still torn on whether to chop them off or not! The side angle has a nice flow but it covers the top of the taillight. Damn the decisions....i have a close deadline on what to do now since my bodyguy wants to throw some primer on it soon. Anywho, here is a couple pics. View attachment 53252 View attachment 53253 View attachment 53254

Interesting stuff on the lay down spoiler Scott.
I had always wondered what a Monte SS spoiler would look like fit up to a Cutlass, thanks for posting those pics, now I know.
I know that styling cues like this are very much personal preference, but if it were me, I think I would want it to stand up just a little straighter, maybe more like on a 80's Z28.
I think that would give it a bit more aggressive look, and might even throw back memories to the NASCAR G bodies from back in the day. But to each their own.
I would love to see you spend some time and see if you can't figure out a work around on the taillight issue on that spoiler. I think it needs something there to look finished (in my opinion, of course!)

Whichever direction you decide to take, I'm sure it'll turn out bitchin'.
;)
Thanks for posting those pics. Keep 'em coming!
Donovan

• Agree

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Interesting stuff on the lay down spoiler Scott.
I had always wondered what a Monte SS spoiler would look like fit up to a Cutlass, thanks for posting those pics, now I know.
I know that styling cues like this are very much personal preference, but if it were me, I think I would want it to stand up just a little straighter, maybe more like on a 80's Z28.
I think that would give it a bit more aggressive look, and might even throw back memories to the NASCAR G bodies from back in the day. But to each their own.
I would love to see you spend some time and see if you can't figure out a work around on the taillight issue on that spoiler. I think it needs something there to look finished (in my opinion, of course!)

Whichever direction you decide to take, I'm sure it'll turn out bitchin'.
;)
Thanks for posting those pics. Keep 'em coming!
Donovan
Donovan, as always i appreciate your feedback. After fitting the lay down and notching around the taillight i also had the same thought about the straighter stand up style. Funny you said that, i actually came across an old monte nascar pic online and it peaked my curiosity. Just tough to toss this one (cost me $200) for another $200 spoiler....my wife would probably shoot me lol! Andrew (fe3x clone) used a lay down style but chopped the ends....looks good but I'm just torn. Here is a pic after the clearance work. This pic is before fine tuning the gap and that has been addressed, just don't have any pics showing it. Mainly, when my cutlass hits the road i want it to be "one of a kind" here in KY like the juggernaut! Decisions decisions!
20140323_084215.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Looking forward to how that spoiler turns out. I have a tall one with a broken "wing" so it would end up getting cut down to trunk width if I do end up using it, although I kinda like the full width look. Those counter sunk washers look pretty trick too makes it look more racecar

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Looking forward to how that spoiler turns out. I have a tall one with a broken "wing" so it would end up getting cut down to trunk width if I do end up using it, although I kinda like the full width look. Those counter sunk washers look pretty trick too makes it look more racecar
Much appreciated! That's why I'm so torn on whether to chop the wings off. I really like how it flows with the body lines. I got those washers for a fair price, guy usually sells them in quantities of 10 and has several different sizes. I agree on how it gives it that race look. I definitely want my cutlass to be show quality( especially with the looks i used to get before i started the resto), bit i assure you guys I'm not gonna baby it around and it will certainly have some rubber slung from time to time!
I wanna be able to put my wife and 2 girls in there and cruise, yet have enough umph to open some eyes lol!
Scott

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor