BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My first builder included metal shavings and miss matched used frictions:blam:
Ugh, that was a nightmare you went through buddy! The fluid in this one looks normal with no metal sheen or shavings! The quick flip side of me says to put the shift kit in it, new neutral safety switch(cracked), fittings, filter and go! The OCD side is saying take it to a local race shop that rebuilds drag strip stuff, drop off the trans and a pile of parts and have them rebuild it.

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Ugh, that was a nightmare you went through buddy! The fluid in this one looks normal with no metal sheen or shavings! The quick flip side of me says to put the shift kit in it, new neutral safety switch(cracked), fittings, filter and go! The OCD side is saying take it to a local race shop that rebuilds drag strip stuff, drop off the trans and a pile of parts and have them rebuild it.
You may be able to take the short cheap road but will you be happier in the long run? That's one heck of a motor your putting in front of it. Bear in mind probably part of the problem with my parts was they'd sat for 20-plus years before I tried to use them not the fresh rebuild on the trans but the rest of my stuff it's been a long time since I built a car and that particular car was built from stuff laying around. Your replacement trans sat at a yard a year at most?I guess it comes down to what you want to spend and how many times your willing to do it if the ( chance road ) dosen't work. I'm shore there's going to be more opinions listed by lunch tomorrow

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
You may be able to take the short cheap road but will you be happier in the long run? That's one heck of a motor your putting in front of it. Bear in mind probably part of the problem with my parts was they'd sat for 20-plus years before I tried to use them not the fresh rebuild on the trans but the rest of my stuff it's been a long time since I built a car and that particular car was built from stuff laying around. Your replacement trans sat at a yard a year at most?I guess it comes down to what you want to spend and how many times your willing to do it if the ( chance road ) dosen't work. I'm shore there's going to be more opinions listed by lunch tomorrow
Surprisingly, this trans has only been pulled for a few weeks. It was just put on the web a week ago and I literally stumbled across it over the weekend. As said, I checked the fluid and it looked normal for a trans with 130k documented miles on it.
In stock form the 4L80 is good for 400ft/lbs, and with minimal upgrades good for 600hp(ish) and equal torque capacity.
However, while it's out I might as well have it gone through.

The place I got it from was loaded with engines, engine parts, trans of all sorts, bellhousings, etc and has been around for decades with a great reputation. Heck, I've gone by it several times and didn't blink an eye geesh!

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm off work today and tomorrow and plan on working on the Cutlass, but had some errands to run today so I've been hanging out at home. It's raining out, so I figured I might as well assemble the Holley intake and feel somewhat productive!
Anywho, I got out some tools and got to work. I'm still waiting on a billet throttle cable bracket to show up, but the intake is done until the engine goes into the car.
This thing is mean looking and should fit the bill!!!!
20180329_123716.jpg
20180329_131525.jpg
20180329_140944.jpg
20180329_141024.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The parts are so cool looking it's almost a shame to put it together
I hate when I get like that. Some parts just look so good, it's just a damn shame when they have to be hidden by other components, even necessary ones.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I hate when I get like that. Some parts just look so good, it's just a damn shame when they have to be hidden by other components, even necessary ones.
Yep, luckily the intake will be out for all too see once the engine gets dropped in. I plan on keeping the wiring as neat and clean as possible just as I did with the old engine. That way there won't be a ton of clutter which gets distracting IMO.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yep, luckily the intake will be out for all too see once the engine gets dropped in. I plan on keeping the wiring as neat and clean as possible just as I did with the old engine. That way there won't be a ton of clutter which gets distracting IMO.
neat

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Good update today finally! After messing with the windshield trim and dealing with too much urethane in the channel, the trim is installed and looks pretty good.
Brian and I removed all the clips, then cut out this much more urethane to get the clearance needed.....
20180330_121631.jpg
20180330_122559.jpg

Next, thanks to a tip from Donovan on adjusting the clips in their grooves to get the height right, the trim snapped on as intended (y)!!!!! I'm out of Cutty time for now, but next time I will need to tweak the passenger side some. For now, I'm stoked to get this accomplished as it's given me grief from day one.
20180330_142742.jpg
20180330_142814.jpg

Until next time guys, thanks for checking in!

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor