87 dash plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I’m going to try to send them a set of wood grain plates and let them turn them into Sheffield grey and report back to everyone with pictures on how they look….
That’s good news. The challenge with the dash inserts will be to reproduce the vacuum metallized chrome on the edges. Chrome paint just isn’t the same…..

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Just wanted to add that I emailed Gbody Parts approximately 6 months ago about reproducing the 1987 442 console appliques. They told me this was something they were working on. Maybe if everyone here that was interested in these appliques shot them an email, we could reinforce the interest in this.
I wouldn't get my hopes up about that. I inquired about the same thing 9 years ago and got basically the same answer in a smart *ss kind of way. BTW the owner of gbodyparts used to be a member here at that time.
Screenshot_20220222-141121_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Considering that I think I paid about 250 some 20 years ago for them to restore my H/O wheel with me supplying the leather, that's not a terrible price of $450 to restore your wheel.

Still holding up beautifully, btw.

It's best to manage your expectations on them restoring your dash trim to NOS condition. Not saying they couldn't look better, but unless they have a hot stamping machine, it's likely not going to look fantastic. The cheesy chrome stamping that GM used back then was lackluster at best even when new. I hope I'm wrong, though. Good luck with that.

I thought about setting up a hot stamping station just for that stuff myself, but the ROI would be extremely dismal. Since I already have an NOS stash, what would I need to do that for? Might come in handy now though, as modification will start giving way to restorations. Or not. Still not positive where the G-body crowd is going toward right now.

Last edited:

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Considering that I think I paid about 250 some 20 years ago for them to restore my H/O wheel with me supplying the leather, that's not a terrible price of $450 to restore your wheel.

Still holding up beautifully, btw.

It's best to manage your expectations on them restoring your dash trim to NOS condition. Not saying they couldn't look better, but unless they have a hot stamping machine, it's likely not going to look fantastic. The cheesy chrome stamping that GM used back then was lackluster at best even when new. I hope I'm wrong, though. Good luck with that.

I thought about setting up a hot stamping station just for that stuff myself, but the ROI would be extremely dismal. Since I already have an NOS stash, what would I need to do that for? Might come in handy now though, as restorations will start giving way to modifications. Or not. Still not positive where the G-body crowd is going toward right now.
Yeah I thought that was a great price for the quality work they appear to do. I have some of the dash plates still in Gm wrapping, paid heavily for those but he didn’t have the whole set, my quest is still to find the plates on either side of the Speedo cluster, it’s one of those things you have to constantly look for and when you find them just buy them there’s time to cry about the price later.

• Agree

ChipD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2021
Just an update from Craftcustoms that 69hurstolds recommended they said 450 to do a restoration on my 87 leather steering wheel and I asked them about the trim plates and he said they also could restore them. I’m going to try to send them a set of wood grain plates and let them turn them into Sheffield grey and report back to everyone with pictures on how they look…. Just might be a answer to our dilemma. Thanks 69 hurst olds for the advice.
Hello John! Do you have any updates? Thank you!

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Not sure if you are still looking for the trim panels, but The Parts Place in Illinois is working on making them. Shane from there posted pictures of them on the Classic Gbody Garage page on Facebook about them a few weeks ago.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not sure if you are still looking for the trim panels, but The Parts Place in Illinois is working on making them. Shane from there posted pictures of them on the Classic Gbody Garage page on Facebook about them a few weeks ago.
And nobody ever thought to "borrow" the pictures to share with those who don't do FB??

Reactions: 1 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
And nobody ever thought to "borrow" the pictures to share with those who don't do FB??
I'm trying to find them. I don't have access to Facebook on my work computer so I was looking on their website to no avail. I'll find them and try to post tonight. They are also working on molds to start producing new taillights.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm trying to find them. I don't have access to Facebook on my work computer so I was looking on their website to no avail. I'll find them and try to post tonight. They are also working on molds to start producing new taillights.
Cool. I'd be interested to see them. Especially the passenger dash vent.

Assuming you're meaning Olds A/G47 tails. I think you mean the Chinese are working on the new molds... :) Curious about those. Wonder if they'll actually fit correctly. The Chinese quality control measurements for those things are +/- 15%. :oops: Think about it. Only would need 2 styles of taillights to cover the entire 81-88 2 door lineup. Whoever can pull that piece of reproduction off will win the internet and likely be flush with cash.

• Agree

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Cool. I'd be interested to see them. Especially the passenger dash vent.

Assuming you're meaning Olds A/G47 tails. I think you mean the Chinese are working on the new molds... :) Curious about those. Wonder if they'll actually fit correctly. The Chinese quality control measurements for those things are +/- 15%. :oops: Think about it. Only would need 2 styles of taillights to cover the entire 81-88 2 door lineup. Whoever can pull that piece of reproduction off will win the internet and likely be flush with cash.
I just talked to Shane Sparks there, the dash vents are not available yett. They have the shifter bezels and the ash tray lid assemblies available now though. Below is a link for the ash tray in black. They are also working on Silver and woodgrain ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor