87 Grand national gravel guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
We just had an 87 Grand national come in for a full reapray. The lower half of the doors and the rockers are covered in gravel guard that’s painted body color. Is this original? I’ve never noticed it on other cars in the past, I also wasn’t looking either. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yes, it mostly likely is. Have fun removing it!

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My 86' Regal came with it

Reactions: 1 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
My 87 Monte Carlo has it.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Was standard procedure back in the 80s for G-bodies. Shouldn't have any on the front of the front wheel wells on any of the cars. The gravel guard was sprayed on before the final paint. Hardly noticeable at first glance, but depending on the level of pebbling, reflections could look hazy. There are claims that some of the rear of the front wheel wells on the front fenders didn't have the guard while the rest of the rocker panels and rear of the rear wheel well was painted with it. MOST of the time it was approx. and roughly 1/2" below the body break line. But that was apparently a guideline as I've seen it ALL OVER the place. My 84 H/O had it 3/4" below the body break line and it wasn't straight, so when I had them do it, they put it 3/4" below the body break line. Should have the texture of a Sunkist orange rind. Mostly smooth-ish, but obviously some cellulite.

Pretty crappy tape lines though. The drunk monkeys at the plant didn't seem to know what they were doing half the time it seems.

Here's my 85 442 passenger front fender/door. Look at that sh*tty tape line for the rock guard. ABOVE and BELOW the body break line. SMDH. Not sure what I'm going to do when I get it repainted.
front fender rock guard.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Was standard procedure back in the 80s for G-bodies. Shouldn't have any on the front of the front wheel wells on any of the cars. The gravel guard was sprayed on before the final paint. Hardly noticeable at first glance, but depending on the level of pebbling, reflections could look hazy. There are claims that some of the rear of the front wheel wells on the front fenders didn't have the guard while the rest of the rocker panels and rear of the rear wheel well was painted with it. MOST of the time it was approx. and roughly 1/2" below the body break line. But that was apparently a guideline as I've seen it ALL OVER the place. My 84 H/O had it 3/4" below the body break line and it wasn't straight, so when I had them do it, they put it 3/4" below the body break line. Should have the texture of a Sunkist orange rind. Mostly smooth-ish, but obviously some cellulite.

Pretty crappy tape lines though. The drunk monkeys at the plant didn't seem to know what they were doing half the time it seems.

Here's my 85 442 passenger front fender/door. Look at that sh*tty tape line for the rock guard. ABOVE and BELOW the body break line. SMDH. Not sure what I'm going to do when I get it repainted.
View attachment 202462
Well, you are about 'originality' so I guess you need to get drunk before masking

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, you are about 'originality' so I guess you need to get drunk before masking
Drink until my own skin gets orange-peely. If I get too drunk it'll look like I tried to pinstripe a 93 Indy Camaro. I heard they promoted that guy who pinstriped the prototype. 3M tape in one hand, a bottle of Jack in the other. By the time he got to the middle of the doors, he was tore up from the floor up. :)

800px-Chevrolet_Camaro_Z28_1993_Indianapolis_500_pace_car.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor