87 LS Monte 4.3 No Injector Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2019
Well here we go. I purchased this car from my father about two weeks ago. After he purchased it he figured out there was a park detection issue (After installing a new fuel pump) as the shifter linkage cable had been stretched from not having an ignition key. He installed a new ignition but he had to start it by turning the column as far left as possible to where it showed it was in park (This is a floor shifted car and has never been converted over). So upon picking it up we found out the starter/starter wiring had gone bad.

So I got it home. Replaced the starter, the starter wiring and the shift linkage cable. Car turns over but isn't getting fuel (As you can see from the injectors there is no fuel dispersed) as it seems the sensor isn't detecting it is in park, Won't start from neutral either. Engine does start with starter fluid or gas added straight into the TBI. I even crawled back under and adjusted the shifting linkage tighter and made the column shift rod goes as far towards park as possible.

So I've concluded that this sensor is either gone out or that the mechanical parts that swap this sensor to park mode arn't working right. I'm going to remove this sensor in the morning and see if manually changing the orientation makes a difference.

Here's my question though.

If the sensor turns out to work fine how would I bypass the shift detection. I've narrowed it down to the orange and black wire that feeds into this. I assume jumping these wires could bypass it? Wanted to reach out though to see if anyone has done this before as it seems at least one of these wires feed into the ecm (I think both do to be honest). I am unable to find a wiring diagram for this sensor though.

Thanks for even reading over this mess.

640x480_Erics Pix 766.jpg
20190226_154939.jpg

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Jumping the two wires together will bypass the neutral safety switch, yes. I did the same thing on my 80 century wagon with a 87 turbo buick harness since I don't have the "EFI" styly NSS on the column ordered on time.

Mar 10, 2019
Thanks for that input.

I went ahead and crossed the wires but it didn't make a difference. I went ahead and just replaced the entire switch and moved it manually to park before I installed it and she still won't start up. Went ahead and installed it though.

So now next on the list is to double check the fuel pump to make sure it's getting fire. Then if it is I'll detach the fuel lines at the throttle body and make sure fuel is getting to the injectors. If the fuel is reaching them I guess I'm going to just wire the injectors to a toggle switch unless anyone has an idea as to what would be causing this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor