87 mc ss chevy 350 overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

87ssdotricks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2013
Got a 87 Monte Carlo ss chevy 350 small block first of all I brought the car pretty much how it is 350 with edelbrock torker 2 intake i believe edelbrock 600 carb got hooker headers and I believe thats only performance mods done to it now the motor runs hot not just sometime but everytime i drive the car now when i got it it had no thermostat in it (back in the summer) so i put new one in 195 degree failsafe with the reusuable gasket soon as I installed thermostat car starts running hot and yes its installed correctly and is functional been tested my coolant in radiator was a orange looking color but mostly green so i drained it 3 or 4 times checked it and no water in oil or anything somebody told me i maybe have bad water pump or intake gasket leak but i dont really think its either those im thinking heads are messed up they are the 882 heads so im ready to pull them anyway just figured id throw this out there see if anyone can help me fix this overheating please everyone chime in...thanks

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
If you start it up and pop the rad cap after a bit you should be able to see the coolant circulating if the pump is good. What radiator is in it? does the fan clutch work right? Check timing, and mixture too, to make sure those are in line. Also could be an air pocket.

87ssdotricks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2013
crotchss said:
If you start it up and pop the rad cap after a bit you should be able to see the coolant circulating if the pump is good. What radiator is in it? does the fan clutch work right? Check timing, and mixture too, to make sure those are in line. Also could be an air pocket.
ill see in the morning ..my mechanic just advanced my timing and all that but that was after i noticed it overheating soo i dnt think its that ..not sure bout fan clutch how can u tell ..ill check n start it up in the morning

87ssdotricks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2013
pontiacgp said:
87ssdotricks said:
pontiacgp said:
when you say it's overheating what is the actual temperature of the coolant?
240-245

it that temp based on your temperature gauge? Why are you using a 195º thermostat?
yea temp gauge...went to autozone said i needed thermostat ..guy said the failsafes are the best this the one he gave me ..also i got the re-usuble performance gasket

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
You need to check a few things. Air trapped in the cooling passages prevents proper flow. Orange and green do not mix well, often leads to sludgy issues and serious problems. If you have no air trapped, you should flush the crap out of this rad with a good flush chemical for three days I think the bottle reads. Then flush it again. The fail safe thermostats are a good product, you should probably use a 185 degree or less, but start at 185 first.
I run the orange stuff because of aluminum heads and radiator, I hate that stuff and may change over in the spring.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Usually when the clutch on the fan goes out, they're generally noisy or you can move the fan blades back & forth against the clutch by hand. This has been my experience anyway. Like said above, you should be able to see coolant circulating in the rad if the pump is ok. A bad fan clutch will certainly cause overheating, it's happened to me. I wouldnt run a 195 t-stat either, but thats not gonna make it run 245 deg. 195 t-stat is more for an emissions contolled engine; the higher temp helps the emissions controls perform properly. 180-185 is best for your engine. Let us know if rad is circulating & how the fan clutch tests out & we'll go from there.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
T-stats only set a temperature floor, not a ceiling. The 195 t-stats only speed up engine warm up which is a good thing since that reduces wear. You want a cold engine to warm up to normal operating temperatures as soon as possible. Colder t-stats only slow down engine warm up, they won't lower the temperature the engine will reach if you run it long enough. It your motor is running hot, a colder t-stat will only increase the time until it starts to overheat, just a mask. Most likely you may have a vacuum leak somewhere leaning out your mixture, or the aftermarket carb isn't set right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor