87 Monte Carlo LS resurrection project !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Hello to all members, I have been working on this project car since We purchased it in September of 2011.
It had been owned since new by a black gentleman in his late 60's. He suffered a stroke and could no longer drive the car.
It sat in a garage for over 3 years before the son in law (who he gave the car to ) tried to get it running. He failed.
Car sat in that same garage for another 2 1/2 years be for being listed for sale on Craigslist. Unmolested , 87 Ls with
just under 122K miles in stock trim. $850.00 305 v8 200R4 Bad transmission. I went to look at the car thinking it would be a good
project car for the price. What stunned me was how good the condition of the interior of the car was for it's age.
Kind of a sky blue cloth. Gloss black exterior. Wow. Now almost one year to the day since the tow truck brought it home.
The very tired and worn out 305 and 200R4 transmission was pulled out on the eve of Chevy's 100 year anniversary.

This was to be replaced with a 79 Camaro 350 That I had been rebuilding in my shop. A 0.030" over stocker.
The monte was to be the donor car. The 350 was purchased for $300. And gutted to the bare block before being hot tanked
and new cam bearings installed. The 79 crank and rods were reused.
Included in the build was the following : KB pistons, Melling pump, Roller rockers, Comp street cam, Edelbrock RPM performer intake, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb, coated HP pushrods, Heads completely renewed with new valves, springs, seals, the works. HEI blue printed distributor , Shorty headers, 85 Chevy truck TH 350 Transmission, custom drive shaft, Heavy duty cross member. Patriot side pipes. round out the package.
All the external engine components were replaced with new.
Now the cool stuff ! I have been a Customizer for many years and this car was like a canvas to a painter.
The theme was to make the car Satin black. With a cool blue offset. I installed 92 Dodge Stealth hood bulges onto the hood, and a 2 1/2" high riser scoop cut into the stock hood. The rear has brand new monte carlo tail lights ($280) With a pair of 59 Cadillac tail lights attached to the trunk lid and wired into the third brake light wiring which was gutted.
The interior was fitted with after market gages and a new Royal blue rug. New Seat belts and a pair of polished sills.
From the radiator to the transmission cooler almost everything has been replaced. I guess the old black grand pa must of just drove this car only because nearly every part that I personally replaced was a factory part from GM. By the date codes.
All the suspension has been replaced , Air shocks in the rear and air ride up front, 15x 7 Vision 5 spoke mags in front and 15x8 in the rear with BFGs. These wheels look very close to the old school Cragar SS mags of the 70's.
Although these are gunmetal spokes. with a polished lip.
All rubber weather strip was replaced. The inner door panels were treated to stained and varnished wood door pulls.
With a stainless steel handles taken from a wrecked power boat. The interior was finished off with a forever sharp wood grain steering wheel with billet collar and Chrome dagger shifter . The car has the stock tilt column in it.
I am now working on the LED marker lamps. Most of which have been replaced the next to finish ar the front turn signal lamps. Pics will follow this build. Look forward to more from 87 BlazeLS.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Hey all, Just wanted to update the progress on the Monte (Blaze) I have now finished changing out all the standard marker lights with LED bullets. The side markers were swapped out several months ago. But the front turn signal lights
were still buried in the bumper. I had saved some lexan panels that I was going to use on our last project car (91 Miata)
These were just the right size to cover the front holes where the old light housings were. About 4 inches high and 30" long.
I painted them satin black to match the body color and mounted 3 amber LED's in each. Due to the 3 wire pig tails on the
harness this proved to be a challenge when working with 2 terminal LED's. What I ended up with were 5 lights on each side.
2 serve as side markers and 3 across each half of the bumper face. When the running lights are off the turn signals will
light the middle bulb in the trio only. When the running lights are on the
2 outer in the trio light and alternate (flash rate) with the 2 side markers.
This looks really cool at night for a great ground Effect.
Pics are coming I just need to get some low resolution shots to post up.

The wiring was a little tricky and took several stabs to nail it down. A few blown fuses was the only real damage...
The outcome is well worth the cost of the lights. The lower amp draw saves juice for other options.

87BlazeLS

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Wow I didn't realize LEDs were taking off bc of the lower amperage I misunderstood that it was just a fashion trend in modernizing older cars. What kind of real difference are we talking about here?

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Any pictures of the before or after?

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
The Weather here has been rainy and when I can get a clear day when I'm off work I'll take some lower resolution
shots of the setup.

As far as power draw goes, each LED draws very small amounts of current compared to the OEM standard bulbs.
Overall the lights are smaller but they are really bright at night when you need them most.

Hang in there I'm working on photos...

jake 87BlazeLS

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Photos of the car and the lights have been posted in the ( Pictures Section ) in General discussion.

It kind of gives you an idea. They look great at night. I will try to get a night photo posted soon....

jake

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor