87 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
ALL MY PICS WERE LOST. ILL BE UPDATING THE BROKEN LINKS SOON. NEW PIC UPDATES ON THE OLD GUY ARE ON THE LAST PAGE

I tried fixing all the broken links thru my flickr account, but no luck. Ill be updating a few post at a time each day until im caught up

Here's some pics and vid of my 87 Monte SS. Its been a nightmare with this car, but Im hangin in there with it. Everything is brand spankin new but 4.5 years old now. Been goin thru it with these bs shops. Me and my crew got it covered now. the motor and trans only have 100-150 or so miles on it. Trans was setup wrong and now its slipping like crazy. Taking it to Bowite Overdrives and to see what they can do for me. I'll add pics as I go along..

Parts list

Fresh H.O DELUXE CRATE 350 from Summit Racing.
B&M 700r4 trans with deeper aluminum pan
700r4 Crossmember
Race ready driveshaft loop
B&M 2400 Holeshot stall converter
B&M super trans cooler
B&M's TV cable and lock/unlock setup .
Edelbrock Intake in Endurashine
Edelbrock Fuel pump(chrome)
Moog front replace springs
Belltech Nitro Drop Shocks(frnt/rear)
Belltech rear 1" drop Springs
Belltech front 2" Drop Spindles
Hotchkis Front and rear swaybar setup

Braided trans lines

Doug's ceramic coated Headers
Ball Milled valve Covers(polished)
Ball Milled Breathers(polished)
Billet Specialties Ball milled Spark plug wire holders(polished)
Billet Specialties Radiator cap(polished)

Dakota Digital Digital Gauges :
A) Instrument Panel(Speedo )
B) Exhaust Gas Temp
C) Fuel Pressure
D) Audio Amplifier Current
E) Subwoofer Amp Temp

F) Trans Temp (cooled temp readout)

G) Oil Temp (cooled temp readout)

H4 Lighting with beefier wiring panel(Summit Racing)

Custom Sprectre Intake with dual filters
Complete Sound Setup from JL Audio And Infinity Audio

Car had a rebuilt 350 in it when I purchased it. Cam lobe wore flat and all kinds of crazy stuff started. Snatched the 350 out and started with the degrease and detailing of the bay area.

CLEAN.. Used "Purple Power" straight to degrease the bay...

Started tapin him off for some rustolium hi temp black..

Motor setup..GM Performance H.O. Deluxe 350 crate. Turnkey setup with GMP's serpentine...Wanted the March setup but ran out of cash. The GM setup was $700. Alot better than $2500:wink:

Here it is after I had the Edelbrock intake(endurashine) slapped on. I also had an Edelbrock water pump which has been swapped to a reverse rotation setup with the serpentine..Billet Specialties short valve covers, breather and pcv valve in bal milled. Ive since swapped to the tall balled milled valve covers..

Milodon (sp?) deep oil pan, windage tray, pickup and high flow oil pump...What a headache that was...

Mounted.

How he sits now...
Before intake...

3667239720_6d9e5f7ccc.jpg

4513867132_71677522c7_z.jpg

Still got a looooong way to go. Having major transmission probs right now. Old shop really dropped the ball on the trans setup. Of course they blamed the first shop. Cut my losses and took him hom. Car wont go in drive now. Trans is slipping like crazy. No reverse. Gotta rev it to 5000 rpm bfore it will move in reverse. NOW its doin it in drive. Taking it to Bowtie Overdrives to see whats goin on. I may just snatch the B&M out and drop in a Bowtie stage 2 700 and fix the B&M later(drop that in my El) Thanks for lookin......

Warren

Attachments

• IMG_6490.jpg
    IMG_6490.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
too much work to even try to sort through all that html.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
adumb said:

My bad doggy. You must have dial up. I checked on 4 diff computer systems before I posted this up. Everything loads up cool on my end.....Thanks for tryin to check it out tho..

Warren

whitey

Greasemonkey
Dec 6, 2007
Ontario Canada
looks good , sucks when the "pros" don't do it right eh .
first time I've ever heard anyone refer to their car as masculine , usually it's a she .
nice work tho , keep it up .

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
Bumpin1ohmSS said:
adumb said:

My bad doggy. You must have dial up. I checked on 4 diff computer systems before I posted this up. Everything loads up cool on my end.....Thanks for tryin to check it out tho..

Warren

yeah, its working now,

looks good!!

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I think anyone who has tried to re-do and build up a car like this has dealt with shops that drop the ball overcharge for their mistakes and then don't stand behind their work. Its what forces people to learn to work on their own stuff to come here and find others in the know or in the same boat. Overtime you develope some friends this guy does engines this guy transmissions etc and you help work on each others projects. The fact that you have persavered to this point makes you one in a few. I like the fact that you have done the drivetrain first and the body last most screw that up and end up with a candy coated POS. I would much rather be driveing something in the next lane that still looks like a POS but shows poser what its all about when its time for business.

Dude you gotta get rid of them little 14s though and at least get you some 15x7 MCSS mags with enough meat to back up the go. I mean I know your not trying to be really fast with a lil 350 crate but baby needs some new shoes. Bowtie overdrives will get you hooked up right. Overdrives are the sh*t for a real street machine that can actually get driven past the edge of town. I prefer the 200-4r for more efficiency better gearing and a taller overdrive but either way you are not spinning the snot out of it going down the freeway and its not sucking as much fuel money out of your pocket either. When I got the lock up converter to work it was worth a little more than 1 mpg and when I could manually lock it up in third I would gain a 10th & 1 mph at the track. Keep it up.

Reactions: 1 user

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
You hit the nail on the head bruh..These bs shops force you to learn(which is a good thing). I used to be a dub head. While I was working on the dub, I let the shops work on the muscle. Workin on 2 rides at once would have killed me(dad with 2 kids and I work nights) But now that Im done with VW, I see how easy this muscle stuff is. Ive got a sick crew of car nuts that dont mind gettin dirty and turnin a few wrenches. My SS was being built for cruising at the time I was buying parts. This motor will drop in my 87 Elco, and Im lookin to drop an LS series setup in the SS. I can make it smog legal and have plenty of power. The lil 14's are on cuz its goin to paint. My shop is gonna teach me the paint trade using my ride. One thing I learned from my 6 older bro's was to get the car running before prettying it up. No use in having a clean paint job and its a pipe smoker.

I should have just taken the car to Bowtie when the rod shop got it running. You live and learn. Bowtie is about 45 minutes from me. Thanks for the encouragement. Here's a few more (lol) pics

Aluminum Driveshaft..

3761109370_55794a1fe5_b.jpg

3760306439_2882bbd65e_b.jpg

3760317069_c5b6a7c3e1_b.jpg

I also have a Grand National 3:73 posi rear end. Its been gone thru and por-15 treated. Picked up a TA Performance rear girdle also. Cant wait to get this thing back on the road. Thanks for lookin fellas!!

Warren 8)

Last edited:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Looks awesome!

You're better off doing the work yourself and with the help of a group of buddies that (hopefully :lol: ) know what their doing, rather than getting ripped off by a shop. Bottom line is: restoration work costs a lot of money, and doing it yourself saves a ton! This is coming from a guy that does it for a living. Not to mention there's a lot more pride and knowledge to be had when you've done it with your own two hands.

Keep up the good work!

Where'd you pick up the aluminum driveshaft?

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Blake442 said:
Looks awesome!

You're better off doing the work yourself......Where'd you pick up the aluminum driveshaft?

YEP!! SO true.Thanks... I got that driveshaft from a cat over at SMM Enterises like 5 years ago. Man he let it go for $35 or so. Cant remember the exact price, but it was cheap. I thought something was wrong with it cuz the price was so low. But I ended up buying so much stuff from him at once, he gave me a sweet deal. Thanks for the kind words fellas! It keeps me motivated. Im new to all this, but EAGER to learn. Ive been building my tools up as lil jobs come up on the cars... Decided to give you guys a break from all the pics. LOL!!

Warren 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor