87 Olds Headlights/Turn Signal Problemss

Status
Not open for further replies.

442Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2014
Im having problems with some electrical stuff in my cutlass.

First, my turn signal does not flash. Only one of them actually flashes(the right one i believe), but the other one stays lit. Could it be that the flasher is broke? or because it isnt wired correctly?

Second, my headlights only turn on when i put the high beams, but will not turn on with the lows. Any ideas??

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
i hope some body helps us i got the same problem in my 84 ss when i turn my head lights on the left turn signal stay's on and the right turn signal doesn't come on at all but the turn lights on the outside of the car works i'm at a loss some one help us. p.s. didn't mean to jack your thread lol.......

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
Both of your problems sound like either a ground problem, or a bulb problem. If the wiring harness has not been hacked up it should be simple to check all the grounds, simply looking is not enough, remember the age of our cars, take the bolt out, clean the terminal, and the metal it contacts and re assemble, a small amount of no-alox, or ox guard would not be a bad idea to prevent future troubles.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
sounds like a ground problem, when i switched out my header panel that happened to me as well. ended up being one of the grounds for the headlight wiring, they ground to the radiator support.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
wonderboy24 said:
sounds like a ground problem, when i switched out my header panel that happened to me as well. ended up being one of the grounds for the headlight wiring, they ground to the radiator support.

X2. The same thing happened in my '88. You do have to clean the grounds and put some sort of protectant after it's bolted down.(Don't over tighten them!) Use it on the topside and the backside of the ground for good protection.
T

442Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2014
Ah okay! I will certainly do that. I was thinking that i would have to replace all bulbs, but either way its best to do it still after so many years.

thanks

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
did it end up being a ground??? i have the EXACT same problem in my 82 mc... turn signals work, but no headlights except the high beams click on... and now the highbeams wont even turn on...

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Might be the turn signal combo switch. My moms 93 lumina and my friends 96 did some wierd stuff, swapped it and all was fine.
Similarly this happened on a 99 jeep and a 93 t bird, same fix too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor