87 Oldsmobile 442 with a 350 motor and 350 turbo trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
I just started building this car it has a 72 Olds Cutlass 350 in it with a turbo 350 trans should I keep my 87 Cutlass trains in it or put a 350 turbo trans in it. it has a 2300 stall converter but I am worrying about them 373 gears in the rear I like it to just be a little Streetcar but I don't know about Highway Drive

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It has a TH350, but you want to put in a TH350... oh I get it. A different trans. All stall does is a higher stall converter requires more RPM to move from a dead stop. So stock stall is about 1200, so it will just take 1000rpm more to move away from a light or stop sign. Gears have no effect. I suggest tossing in a 200r4 if you have the means. That ar will be right at home with 3.73 and ~300hp Olds and a four speed with O/D.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
It has a TH350, but you want to put in a TH350... oh I get it. A different trans. All stall does is a higher stall converter requires more RPM to move from a dead stop. So stock stall is about 1200, so it will just take 1000rpm more to move away from a light or stop sign. Gears have no effect. I suggest tossing in a 200r4 if you have the means. That ar will be right at home with 3.73 and ~300hp Olds and a four speed with O/D.
Okay the crappy part is I just put a brand new stall converter in the turbo 350 trans and I highly doubt that new stall converter will fit in the 200r4

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
that's fine. You don't have to replace the trans. O/D is just good to keep the RPM down and MPG up if you do a lot of highway driving or if it's your DD. All a higher stall does as I said is just allow you to build more RPM before you launch.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
that's fine. You don't have to replace the trans. O/D is just good to keep the RPM down and MPG up if you do a lot of highway driving or if it's your DD. All a higher stall does as I said is just allow you to build more RPM before you launch.
Ya I m not doing to much highway driving I m New to the 3 speed what the top speed I can get out of it and what should I keep the rpm at I hope this is not a dum question

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
With a three speed and 3.73 you'd be looking at a max speed of probably 130-155 mph. But that would be plenty for a street car.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
With a three speed and 3.73 you'd be looking at a max speed of probably 130-155 mph. But that would be plenty for a street car.
Thanks for all your help and information what should be the RPM I should stay around while driving what's the danger zone on the RPM I'm new to all

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks for all your help and information what should be the RPM I should stay around while driving what's the danger zone on the RPM I'm new to all
The RPM just depends on how you're driving. With a three speed auto, 3.73, and a 26 inch tire (height) you'd be about 3200 RPM at 65mph. With a 200r4 with OD (4th gear) you'd be about 2200. It's nothing that would hurt the car, but Oldsmobile engines and V8's in general don't like to stay at a high (comparatively) RPM for sustained periods. For a quick jaunt on the interstate every so often will be fine with the TH350. Like I said a 200r4 that has 4 gears (4th is OD and has 1,2 and D) will be easier on the engine, it having to turn less RPM to maintain speed. Not trying to talk you into spending 2 grand for another transmission, by the way. Just listing off the benefits. That's why so many cars now have 8,9,10 and some 11 speeds. All to keep rpms down and mpgs up. Less RPM, less engine wear.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
But yes, bottom line is your setup is perfectly fine and millions of other have, do and will do the same as you with no ill results. I'm doing the same soon but with a Regal and a Buick 350. Still a TH350 and plan on getting a 3.08 posi for my 7.5 rear. the lower the number the rear end the less your crusing RPMS will be, hence people calling gears like 2.29:1 or 3:1 "highway gears". They were put in many base model cars in the olden days (as new as 25 years ago, some newer) to keep rpm down on the highway. these rear gears 2xx to about 3.23 are meant for good mpg. But if you like roll racing or top speed they're great. Steeper or shorter gears 3.56,3.73,4.10, etc are to get you out of the hole quickly. Gears as high was 5.5 or 6 to one have been used in heavy trucks and off road vehicles for years. I find a happy medium is 3.42-3.73. Low enough highway RPM (especially with an O/D trans) and steep enough to get a good hole shot for racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor