CUTLASS 87 Salon - value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
81-86 are an easier fix 87-88 parts are scarce especially the nose lights and grills, it took forever to find grills for my 88 and this was in 99-2000 I can imagine now

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
SD is a long way from NJ. As I said, look on Ebay, and you'll see sold Supremes at 2500-3000 that I wouldn't touch.
OK then.......sounds like you already have an idea of market value.

I tend to take ebay sold listings with a grain of salt......use some of the better deals on FB marketplace to gauge where pricing is at.

Regardless of where you live, a stock cutlass just doesn't bring top dollar, particularly if it has damage.....also it is tough to sell a gbody this time of year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
OK then.......sounds like you already have an idea of market value.

I tend to take ebay sold listings with a grain of salt......use some of the better deals on FB marketplace to gauge where pricing is at.

Regardless of where you live, a stock cutlass just doesn't bring top dollar, particularly if it has damage.....also it is tough to sell a gbody this time of year.

Well, not really, because they're all over the place. Agree on the time of year, so maybe while in the garage I can make the repairs and see what spring brings. So a Salon with TTOPS (basically fully optioned minus the 442) really isn't much better than a v8 Supreme?

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Well, not really, because they're all over the place. Agree on the time of year, so maybe while in the garage I can make the repairs and see what spring brings. So a Salon with TTOPS (basically fully optioned minus the 442) really isn't much better than a v8 Supreme?
Yes, the further you can distance the car from being a "grampa mobile" the better.....bucket seats, no vinyl top, round gauges, olds rally wheels or tasteful aftermarket wheels....etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Header and headlight are an easy fix, just have to find the parts...

That's the rub; finding the 87 Header panel aka "Euro clip" is tough and decent ones are (around here anyway) go for $800+ (the lowrider guys LOVE the Euro Clip and will pay up for them). If it were me; I'd put put the 82-86 Header panel on it since those are everywhere and cheap. I'm not sure you'd be able sell the car for enough more money if it was "correct" to offset the additional cost of obtaining the correct year header panel (if it were an '87 442 it'd probably matter but in this case I think it's negligible). Cutlass Salons are much scarcer than the Supremes and the ONLY Cutlasses I'd peronally buy (and H/Os or 442s). Sounds like a good car other than the body damage and fixed up should sell fast if it's otherwise clean. Very hard to put a $ figure on it since location has a lot to do with the value. In Denver any Gbody Cutlass is scarce and they seem to fetch decent money; Locally I just saw a nonrunning '79 Cutlass Calais sell for $4500 (clean body/int). And I haven't seen a T-Top Salon for sale or on the road here since I've lived here (2010).

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Still no pics .

All G-bodies are a hard sell at 3k in original condition unless late 442’s, Monte SS’s or GN’s.
Of course there are exceptions and beauty (and price) is always in in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I’d give more for a pristine cruiser, Cutlass Cruiser that is, than anything other than a GN.

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
That's the rub; finding the 87 Header panel aka "Euro clip" is tough and decent ones are (around here anyway) go for $800+ (the lowrider guys LOVE the Euro Clip and will pay up for them). If it were me; I'd put put the 82-86 Header panel on it since those are everywhere and cheap. I'm not sure you'd be able sell the car for enough more money if it was "correct" to offset the additional cost of obtaining the correct year header panel (if it were an '87 442 it'd probably matter but in this case I think it's negligible). Cutlass Salons are much scarcer than the Supremes and the ONLY Cutlasses I'd peronally buy (and H/Os or 442s). Sounds like a good car other than the body damage and fixed up should sell fast if it's otherwise clean. Very hard to put a $ figure on it since location has a lot to do with the value. In Denver any Gbody Cutlass is scarce and they seem to fetch decent money; Locally I just saw a nonrunning '79 Cutlass Calais sell for $4500 (clean body/int). And I haven't seen a T-Top Salon for sale or on the road here since I've lived here (2010).
I'm from CO and there just isn't much of any gbodys but I know of a couple and I check on them regularly waiting for them to pop up for sale but there disappearing

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I did find two down here in NM one is a TTop car the other a two tone light grey with a medium grey 442 lol I'll go back for pix its snowy and dark but I'll be in that area tomorrow for the spotted thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor