BUILD THREAD 87 SS, 305 is the one who knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
got my king con rod bearings in, still waiting on my king main bearings. it seems the king tri metal coated bearings are stupid hard to get ahold of seems im about 2 more months out. next order will be my arp order that is ever bolt arp makes for a sbc including the specific 383 bolts kit
Z94HML2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio

to say that this covid mess has slowed progress is kind of a understatement as it cost me my job but that's life, had parts ordered and paid for before that went down that should be showing up within the next few weeks, got a dakota digital fan controller that is bluetooth so i can shut the fan off on highway speed and adjust on off temps, a 6k cfm dual fan that only eats 4 more amps than my 3k cfm black magic fan, a fluiddampr balancer to get rid of the junk stock style one i'm running and a nitrous pressure gauge with sending unit so i can read tank pressure in car and ive got a few trans leaks i need to sort out before i turn my car into a structure fire. along with some new mics and cameras to make content for youtube that i can get more video and windproof mics for exhaust sound.

that new 6k cfm fan coupled with the high flow edelbrock water pump should help the car run cooler its still running a stock style pump and i think that's holding me back now.

ordered a bunch of heat sleeving and i'm going to have to re-run all my fuel lines back to the stock location the running it on the driver side and it going over a header is vapor locking me when the car idles for 5-8 minutes.

Reactions: 2 users

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
got the fluid dampr put in, its funny its so much smaller than the stock damper you can't hardly see it looking down in the engine bay, got the old coolant fan pulled and mocked up this new big boy perma cool unit, found 2 massive vacuum leaks and 2 burned plug wires. guess that explains why i couldn't get the thing tuned properly.

got the edelbrock 8881 al water pump put in but only after grinding on it repeatedly with a flap disc to get it to clear the gm serp belt kit. at that point i was looking at the serp belt system and noticed the idler pulley in the gm performance serp belt kit was already missing a lot of the paint and this made me look at where on the wear indicator the belt tensioner was, gm is shipping this kits out with a serp belt that is about a inch to long, the tensioner was at full lock so i found a continental serp belt that is a bit shorter that reminded me of the old gatorback belts so i got that ordered

the vacuum port cap on the back of the fi tech had crumbled from heat and i took this as a sign to run a pcv system from each valve cover into that port. and one cap on a ported vacuum switch had crumbled off to which i think was why every time i tuned the system it just went wrong another way and couldn't hold a proper idle.

Jy6t9g9.jpg

the melted plugs i believe was a more recent issue but one i had been worrying about for some time as they are stupid close to those flowtech headers coupled with the fact that if im driving that car there's a solid chance it's high in the rpm range so i ordered new wires that are silicone with ceramic boots and i may add some heat sleeving in there anyways from valve cover down to spark plug.

im hoping that this new fan doubling in air output from 3k cfm to 6k cfm also helps with my vapor locking issue on extended idle on hot days but i'm also going to heat sleeve all the fuel lines in the engine compartment, if that doesn't fix it im going to re route the fuel lines back to the stock location up the pass side frame rail and pop them out the hole in the frame rail as of now it came up the driver side.

also picked up ceramic pads for the front and rear discs as the hawk pads im running are to darm dusty for me.

brand new trans from jegs is still leaking from the tail shaft seat and speedo gear housing, so im gonna try to pull that crap apart and re-seal it but it's a bummer cause i'm going to lose all that fancy jegs trans fluid.

and last up for spring fixing is the blazer wheel bearings, again, the SKF wheel bearings i put in it crapped out after one season of hard cornering use. i'm kind of at a loss on how to stop this thing chewing wheel bearings, i'm going to try moogs and perhaps changing the alignment specs a shade more towards stock, perhaps its scrubbing them a bit but my tires have no odd wear patterns.

if any one has input on any of this feel free to help me out. or just point and laugh lol either way goal for this year is shifting to sort out issues.

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Did I just read "FI Tech" and "vapor lock" in the same post? How is that happening? No return line?

I don't know what Blazer wheel bearings I got from rockauto, but they've got around 65k on them, and I'm not nice to it either.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

to say that this covid mess has slowed progress is kind of a understatement as it cost me my job but that's life, had parts ordered and paid for before that went down that should be showing up within the next few weeks, got a dakota digital fan controller that is bluetooth so i can shut the fan off on highway speed and adjust on off temps, a 6k cfm dual fan that only eats 4 more amps than my 3k cfm black magic fan, a fluiddampr balancer to get rid of the junk stock style one i'm running and a nitrous pressure gauge with sending unit so i can read tank pressure in car and ive got a few trans leaks i need to sort out before i turn my car into a structure fire. along with some new mics and cameras to make content for youtube that i can get more video and windproof mics for exhaust sound.

that new 6k cfm fan coupled with the high flow edelbrock water pump should help the car run cooler its still running a stock style pump and i think that's holding me back now.

ordered a bunch of heat sleeving and i'm going to have to re-run all my fuel lines back to the stock location the running it on the driver side and it going over a header is vapor locking me when the car idles for 5-8 minutes.
smoke em if you got em

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
Did I just read "FI Tech" and "vapor lock" in the same post? How is that happening? No return line?

I don't know what Blazer wheel bearings I got from rockauto, but they've got around 65k on them, and I'm not nice to it either.

yeah when it was fuel line time it ran up the driver side and come up the frame rail and comes up over the header and over to the fitech if i get stuck in traffic in the summer temps start to rise then it starts sputtering then dies, i can get it to start back up in about 5 minutes if i pop the hood to let it cool. only thing i can think is the fuel line by the header is boiling the fuel. so heat wrap all the things and re route the fuel line to go up on the pass side and pop out that frame hole. i must have just had crap luck on the wheel bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor