BUILD THREAD 87MCSS - TFB, Get it done already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B's 87mcss

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2018
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Thanks Tony, Supercharged, If you remove the front clip and all the extra weight that you can you should be alright. I lifted in the areas closest to the body mounts as that is probably the strongest spots on the body. I lifted one side up a bit and blocked, then did the same on the other, until I could get 2 - 4 x 4's slid across between the frame and the body, one under the firewall and one just behind doors. I also had a sawhorse at the back with blocking on top to make sure the body couldn't tip backwards. I jacked the 4 x 4's up a bit at a time until I could get jack stands under them and then pushed the frame out. If the body is real bad I would add one 4x4 under the center of the doors and add jack stands there. I strongly recommend you have 2-3 guys to help. I did mine myself and it gets a little freaky.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

B's 87mcss

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2018
photo0(1).jpg
photo0.jpg

The guys at Jus Cuz Customs shop have been busy working on the Monte. Ran into a few problems, long ago paint job and new primers not compatible; some small spotting on the hood magically appeared so sanded hood down to bare metal and re-prime. Couple panel fitment issues, front drivers pillar may be slightly sloped back causing the door spacing to be off. We had some issues with left side of the rad support and left front fender not lining up so maybe a wee accident in her past. Not sure yet but might need a little tug on the frame rack. They will be blocking for third time so it's getting there. I have been super impressed by these techs. Their skills are honed to perfection, they have the "touch," the "feel," the "eye" for what looks right and what doesn't, and last but not least, the patience to keep at it (and not fire a wrench across the shop). Should be loading the door glass next and doing some fitment with the windows, T-tops, and weatherstripping; get this stuff all lined up now so not doing it on painted surfaces. Must admit, I'm pretty happy these guys are doing this work for me cause it is AWAY out of my skill set and comfort zone.

Reactions: 9 users

B's 87mcss

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2018
A quick update on progress, or lack there of, on the paint job. Bodywork got completed, gaps etc. turned out pretty damn good for a G- body, things were moving along, and then along came VIRUS. The fellow working on my Monte has a condo in Mexico and he and his Mrs. wanted to get one more trip in before winters end. They got there and within no time got quarantined for two weeks. Fortunately they got a flight back to Canada and got quarantined again for two weeks. Yep, there went a month lol. With a bit of luck he should be getting it back together mid - late April; AND I'll still have time to get the interior back in before summer because the damn snow and cold just won't go away this year. Stay healthy all.

Reactions: 3 users

B's 87mcss

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2018
Monte arrived back home from the Jus Cuz Customs shop. Hood still there getting some extra paint work done to it. Paint and finish turned out great. I have started putting the interior back in, headlights, etc. etc. Bunch of other little things to do but overall goal was to be driving this summer so still on track. No pictures yet, I want to do one of those TV reveals that makes it look like it was all done in a hour.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Monte arrived back home from the Jus Cuz Customs shop. Hood still there getting some extra paint work done to it. Paint and finish turned out great. I have started putting the interior back in, headlights, etc. etc. Bunch of other little things to do but overall goal was to be driving this summer so still on track. No pictures yet, I want to do one of those TV reveals that makes it look like it was all done in a hour.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

B's 87mcss

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2018
Just a couple more weeks and its done(but its never really done). Hood is getting some airbrush work, still needs body de-nib, window tint, black out taillights, and final fitment now that i have driven it around a bit. Paint is PPG 2019 Jeep Billet Pearl. Interior all back in, gauges working, synced up speedo and odometer. Speakers, subs, and all lights working. Interior panels all new or re-painted satin black and cleared. New windshield, carpet, headliner, visors; old rear seat steam cleaned so good just going to leave it as is. New headlights installed, Wheel alignment complete and it corners! A bit of spit polish on the engine. Trunk cleaned up after being in the body shop, just a wee bit dusty! Once hood is finished and installed I'll put up the BIG picture for review....
headlight IMG_1155.jpg
headlight on IMG_1165.jpg
engine  IMG_1157.jpg
interior pass side.jpg
wheel IMG_1166.jpg
rear seat IMG_1163.jpg
d side interior IMG_1161(1).jpg
Trunk IMG_1160(1).jpg
trans temp clock IMG_1164.jpg
engine IMG_1159.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

B's 87mcss

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2018
Well, "Time Fly's By, Get It Done Already" is pretty much a closed book (but we all know we never really do get all done). Got the windows tinted, tail lights painted, and the hood back on. Did a bit of 3M protector behind the wheel-wells front and back. Probably get the same done on the nose and hood because we have those pesky rocks up here that just seem to know how to find fresh paint. Always liked the Monte Carlo hood ornament and somehow taking it off the nose seemed right, however, I still wanted to pay homage to the emblem so jazzed it up a bit and had it airbrushed on the hood. Had her out a bit the last 2-3 weeks and have been driving it like I stole it, break now or forever hold together! Hope to get a few more rips in before the snow flies. Got a little a vibration to figure out and one exhaust pipe touching the floor but overall it turned out real good. Want to do a bit of metal work under the hood, maybe change out front wheel wells, etc. but that's for another day. Thanks to all for all the great posts with handy info and pics, it all helped to inspire me (basically a good kick in the *ss). Have a look.
62017591498__A6957D08-B0D0-4B99-BCCF-5B0580DD1DF6.JPG
IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg
IMG_0423.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The car turned out absolutely stunning Brian, congrats!! Love the color, looks bright silver in the sun but has an awesome darker flop to it as well. I’m usually not big on custom airbrushed stuff on cars, but the Monte crest looks right at home on there.
Beautiful job.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor