88 Cutlass Newbie Build

J.Rod22

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
I’ll start off with a brief introduction and give more information as I go along. I’ve been a member of this site since 2009 when I bought my 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic. At the time it was my daily driver and I was a complete newbie when it came to working on cars so I didn’t do much work to it. I’m still a newbie when it comes to working on cars but now that I have another daily driver I have the ability to work on it without worrying about messing something up.

Over the years I have lost interest in my Cutlass but browsing this site again and watching your build threads has motivated me to work on it again. I’m amazed at all the knowledge that you guys have and would love to learn and get to the point where I’m confident in building my own car like you guys do. I’m not quite sure what plans I have for my cutlass but the purpose of this thread is to keep myself motivated and to learn along the way as I document my journey for you guys. I would love feedback from you guys on my journey.

Another reason for me to want to continue this journey is because I’ve already spent so much money on this car and I have parts lying around for it that I haven’t used. I would lose so much money if I tried to sell it and don’t think I would be able to find another in as good shape.

As it sits it is an 88 Cutlass Supreme with the 307/204R. I bought an Olds 350 from a 72 cutlass that is currently disassembled that I want to put in.

I attached the most recent pics I took of my car from a few years back and my car still looks fairly similar except I got into a wreck and had to replace the header panel but the bumper cover is warped.

Attachments

D

Doug Chahoy

Royal Smart Person
Nov 21, 2016
Nice looking car. So your another one like me, I’m definitely not a mechanic. But with the help/support from this forum, I’ve accomplished things on my project that I had no idea what the hell I was doing at first.

J.Rod22

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
I’m currently working on removing the upper/lower ball joints. Any advice would be appreciated. I’m having trouble removing the upper ball joint.

J.Rod22

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Nice looking car. So your another one like me, I’m definitely not a mechanic. But with the help/support from this forum, I’ve accomplished things on my project that I had no idea what the hell I was doing at first.
Thanks man. I’m trying to learn to do things myself too even though I feel intimidated by all I have to learn.

Reactions: Tony1968
DSPbuilt

DSPbuilt

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2016
Miami, FL
Keep at it! There is always tons of help and ball busting when you need it here!

Reactions: J.Rod22
olds307 and 403

olds307 and 403

Geezer
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Nice car. What are your plans for the Olds 350?

J.Rod22

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Nice car. What are your plans for the Olds 350?
When I bought it a few years ago I planned on doing a stock rebuild since it was going into my daily driver and it was my first engine rebuild. I wanted to keep it simple since I didn’t and still don’t understand much about choosing the different components to improve performance. So I have basically the stock replacement parts plus an edelbrock performer camshaft and intake. The engine is currently disassembled with the block on the engine stand. The crankshaft, heads, and rods are stored away. I have to check on the condition of all the parts because when I checked the order day the rods have built rust on them from being stored outside.

Reactions: fleming442
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M 1980 cutlass stolen in Miami Stolen! 1
CutlassKage 1978 Cutlass 3.8 won’t start Electrical / Ignition / Starting 4
08Malibu 79 cutlass console G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
88 Gutlass 81-88 cutlass hood Wanted 4
Red78Calais4speed Cutlass shifters G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 2
M Serpentine Setup and Cutlass Condensor Cooling / Heating / AC 3
P NOS Oldsmobile Rocket Hood Ornament Emblem Cutlass Delta 88 G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
P Cutlass Grilles G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 1
Eddie Cutlass CUTLASS Replace TPS or Carb? Fuel / Air / Boost / Emissions 48
nickonometry tinted lights, euro cutlass Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 14
Eddie Cutlass TPS (Check Engine code 21) Fuel / Air / Boost / Emissions 4
O CUTLASS Valuation of a 1987 Cutlass General Discussion 42
Cutlass455 WANTED 81-87 Cutlass W30/W25 Hood (VFN) Wanted 0
7 New Pearl Jam Video has a later model G body Cutlass at the beginning... Photos, Videos, etc. 4
Kelvin's80442 79 cutlass grills Wanted 0
J Ac/ heater box removal 83 cutlass Cooling / Heating / AC 7
Eddie Cutlass CUTLASS NEW RIDE: ‘85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Sedan. Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 5
Eddie Cutlass Greetings from San Diego New Users 9
nickonometry Cutlass front spoiler options Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 1
8 87 cutlass engine swap recommendation Engine / Swaps / Driveability 18
4 Late Model Bucket Seat Installation Interior 12
cruize1 WANTED 1987 1988 CUTLASS LH HEADLIGHT Wanted 0
K Cutlass to Monte Carlo A/C swap Cooling / Heating / AC 19
350Cutty **Moving Sale - Cutlass Front End $50. G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 9
S 84 cutlass drivability help Engine / Swaps / Driveability 1
O. D. Showtime FOR SALE Cutlass Console G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 11
blackonblack Turbo regal and cutlass parts G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 5
Dktalee Cutlass Dash Insert Overlays General Discussion 2
QS442 Edelbrock RPM Intake fitment on 79 Cutlass Engine / Swaps / Driveability 32
Blackout79 WANTED Cutlass GT Wanted 12
Drkuhar Need some 84 cutlass parts Wanted 2
88 Gutlass My 1988 Cutlass resto project G-Body Build Threads 16
Regalman08 FOR SALE Rare Cutlass 2 spoke steering wheel red G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 10
P 80 Cutlass Supreme T-Tops Only Question Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 5
Injectedcutty HELP Need to rebuild my 8.5" boys! Transmission / Rear End / Driveline 47
SmokinJoe CUTLASS 83 Cutlass Shifter question Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 0
85ss/85gn 78-80 Cutlass rear inner bumper Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 1
565bbchevy 71' Cutlass power sunroof option? General Discussion 4
Texas79cutty 79 cutlass New Users 40
P 1980 Cutlass Supreme Core Support G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 2
P 1980 Cutlass Supreme Driver Side Fender G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
P 1980 Cutlass Supreme Passenger Side Fender G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
B Cutlass Header Panel and Bumper Cover $50 G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 1
S 88 cutlass lv2 442 value? Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 30
D 80 Cutlass motor swap help!! Engine / Swaps / Driveability 26
87CuttySupreme Big upgrades on the 87 cutlass Interior 6
S Hello from Southeastern Saskatchewan 1986 Olds Cutlass Salon New Users 27
nickonometry My 88 Cutlass Supreme Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 14