HELP 88 Cutlass Supreme Turn Signal out

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hydroplaned the other day, hit the guardrail slow enough not to dent the body but knocked something loose in the light system. My right turn signal and left run light now don't light up. Whats the process here? Check bulbs first? Fuses? How do the lights detach so I can get in there? Where are the fuses? New to cars and have a bit of a time crunch to get this fixed so I can register her.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hydroplaned the other day, hit the guardrail slow enough not to dent the body but knocked something loose in the light system. My right turn signal and left run light now don't light up. Whats the process here? Check bulbs first? Fuses? How do the lights detach so I can get in there? Where are the fuses? New to cars and have a bit of a time crunch to get this fixed so I can register her.
Probably not a fuse. Replace the bulbs, not like it's a lose lose situation here.

• Agree

BenD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
Pennsylvania
Probably not a fuse. Replace the bulbs, not like it's a lose lose situation here.
Know how they detach? I don't see exterior screws as some models have, there are some bolts underneath the light blocked by the trim that don't seem to be it. Gonna get down there now and look behind them. Was told by a friend it may be clips from the back that accurate?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Know how they detach? I don't see exterior screws as some models have, there are some bolts underneath the light blocked by the trim that don't seem to be it. Gonna get down there now and look behind them. Was told by a friend it may be clips from the back that accurate?
Not on a Cutlass I don’t since I’ve never owned one. However on some 80’s GM vehicles, make sure you just put your hand behind the bumper, and twist the connector until it comes out.

BenD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
Pennsylvania
Ok, things got weird. Found a burned out bulb in the faulty run light, swapped that out and it's now working. Likewise with the right turn signal, impact pulled one of the wires out of its crimp. Recrimped and it's fine... buuut now something odd is going on with the left turn signal and hazards.

If the headlights are off it functions perfectly. If the headlights are on its' functions are reversed. It lights up when the turn signal is in the off position and when placed in the on position it turns off. Right signal which I just reconnected works perfectly regardless of the headlights.

Have also lost all functionality with the hazard lights which I tested and were functional post-love tap. Any ideas?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Ok, things got weird. Found a burned out bulb in the faulty run light, swapped that out and it's now working. Likewise with the right turn signal, impact pulled one of the wires out of its crimp. Recrimped and it's fine... buuut now something odd is going on with the left turn signal and hazards.

If the headlights are off it functions perfectly. If the headlights are on its' functions are reversed. It lights up when the turn signal is in the off position and when placed in the on position it turns off. Right signal which I just reconnected works perfectly regardless of the headlights.

Have also lost all functionality with the hazard lights which I tested and were functional post-love tap. Any ideas?
Might be the crimp you did, or corrosion in the light bulb socket there.

BenD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2022
Pennsylvania
Might be the crimp you did, or corrosion in the light bulb socket there.
The crimp was on the right side, did nothing with the left signal but thats the one that's acting weird. My instinct is it's wired backwards but that doesn't account for the problem appearing out of nowhere.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
The crimp was on the right side, did nothing with the left signal but thats the one that's acting weird. My instinct is it's wired backwards but that doesn't account for the problem appearing out of nowhere.
I don’t think it would function with reverse polarity.

Could say it’s possibly a ground, damaged wire or flasher unit.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Any idea where the ground would be located?
You will have to use GM schematics or trace the wire leaving the headlights or turn signals yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor