88 MCSS 35K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
Investment-wise and cars are two terms that usually do not match up unless lightning strikes. Not saying it can't be done, but NOBODY ever considers the long-term care costs associated with owning a 1:1 scale model car. It's not as easy as it seems. If you're flush with cash and you see the car of your teenage years and want it badly, hey, it's only money. Spend it the way you want to.

Nobody knows what's going to be popular or high in demand in later years. But one of the biggest issues with these high dollar G-body sales is, some dorkhole with a clapped out 83 Monte SS with rusted out floorboards and eroded frame will see this sale and now demand 20K for his basket case just based on some of these one-off outlier purchases for some of these cars.

I've never owned an 83 H/O, but wouldn't mind it one bit. Came close a few times, but never did. Other than that, I can't think of another G-body I would go out of my way to want to get. Not saying I wouldn't like to have that 88 MCSS, but not at that price. I wouldn't pay it. I'd probably push a 25-28 spot max, and that is if it looked like it rolled into the showroom back in the day.
no dis agreement it would need to be cherry - saw a MC-SS on e-bay like that - but here is the kicker - My dad went to an estate auction and bought a 1970 something 442 cutlass olds Green on green for $1800.00 with 40k original miles so it is possible to find those because no one at the auction was there for a car. He called to ask me if he go a good deal LOL - still with original Shocks and factory tires (tire shop looked at tires and asked if he was sure we wanted to replace them as they were date stamped in conjunction with the month/year the car was built).
unbelievable but it happens. he sold it to a collector for a little more than what he paid for it...

All I can say is do research and hold out for what you want and don't pay for someone else's percieved valuation.

when I say invest in a car it has to be like a 1 of 500 and super rare and likeable with a following - the XKR globally less than 4k a year were made half Europe and half Us bound and there is a cult following - just as an example

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I agree. There are some cars that you can buy and hold their own as far as value. But not many. Especially not many of the G-bodies. If you haven't bought a G-body dream car by now, you may be surprised at the cost of getting yours. I mean, as far as no longer being built, in 1992, there were no more G-bodies being built just like today, but you would never pay in the range of 35K for one (even in '92 dollars), unless it was one of those GNX's or something similar. It's nostalgia. Thinking back to somewhere around 1992, I recall going to Kroger on the way home from getting gassed up in the 85 442. Back then, Kroger always had the bagboy take your stuff out to the car for you. Ok. Young kid sees the car and asked "Cool. What's a 442?" You see, the slide started LONG before now... :rolleyes:

As pointed out, you'd never be able to enjoy that 88 MCSS if you started driving it even a little, unless you didn't care about the devaluation. That's the problem with the super low-mile examples that people buy and don't drive because they don't want to drop the car's value. That should tell you something right there. I still think you could put a few hundred miles per year on the car, keep things lubed, and still not hurt the overall value.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

William

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 29, 2016
$35k for a sought after 35 year old g-body with 250 original miles is a bargain. If that car had t-tops, it would easily have been more.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
$35k for a sought after 35 year old g-body with 250 original miles is a bargain. If that car had t-tops, it would easily have been more.
That's one opinion. Values are all over the map. Some people will pay that kind of money, but others won't. I've noticed that those kind of prices are for pristine, pure stock cars. Hmmm. Wonder why that is? But let's play what if for a second...

If that thing had a crate motor 383 or an LS swap without any of the original parts left that were removed, would you still pay $35K for it?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For me those kind of cars are just really expensive rollers that will still need a lot of upgrades.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I doubt it. The value is all in the condition of the car, originality, and the fact that it has ultra low miles. How the car was optioned is really not all that important. Potential buyers are much more concerned with every detail matching how it left the factory (tires, belts, hoses, etc.).

I do agree with $35k being a bargain. Considering how little $35k buys now-a-days.

Last edited:

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I think a detail that’s missed sometimes is that we play in a niche market, which is sometimes just one individual. The market for this car at this price is much smaller than the market if it weren’t in the same condition.

I sold my 96 Impala this spring. I put it out for what I thought was stupid money figuring I would drive it and enjoy it for the summer. I happened to be in the right spot at the right time and sold it in less than an hour for asking price to someone that was frustrated that he couldn’t find an unmolested one. If I would have arrived any later the deal probably never would have happened. In the end I covered all my expenses to own it (including gas) and made many thousands of dollars in only 3 years of ownership. All this Monte needs is the one person with the $.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
It must be where the market is going!
00d0d_cB3o0AsmINAz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

clist said:
Hello, selling my 1986 Monte Carlo SS this car is really original except for upgraded modifications that I have done to it. It has 29,000 original miles. I am the third owner. It’s a t top car, it also has a bench seat column shifter which is pretty rare. Most of the interior is all original except for the carpet and floor mats. All of the interior was taken out of the car the whole car has been lined with sound detonator on the floor roof inner and outer door and trunk. I used hush mat which doesn’t put out an older like some. It has a pioneer flip out stereo , back up camera, Morel and JL audio door – speakers. Has Alpine and JL sub in the trunk, the stereo sounds great very clear and professional, all the wires and everything were done professionally and hidden correctly. The windows were recently attended, it has brand new power window motors, new door seals and weatherstripping throughout. It’s still has the original 305 motor with a four-speed overdrive transmission. All numbers matching to the car. It has Alden American coil overs front and rear that are adjustable. Brand new US mag staggered 20s with brand new tires. All of trim is in great shape, the body and paint is in great condition no dents or dings, also installed new phoenix graphics decal kit. This car runs and drives great. This is a beautiful Monte Carlo SS you’d be hard-pressed to find another one nicer and in this condition with all the extras and the original condition Asking $29,500.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
I'm not surprised that these cars are going up in value. Although they made thousands of these in there day you'd be hard pressed to find a low mile unmolested SS anymore. For me it took me over a year to find exactly what i wanted. Low mile original. And i paid all the money to get it. And it has definitely been worth it. These cars are about impossible to get out here on the west coast. Most have been turned into dirt track cars or crushed. If you look on auto trader classic you'll see that even an average one with aftermarket mods have shot thru the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor