1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BUILD THREAD 88 Monte SS to TPI

Discussion in 'G-Body Build Threads' started by SSClassic, Oct 7, 2017.

1. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

There seems to be alot of information spread across forums but theres not one single place that has all the links and intel together,im going to try to post as much intel that i have followed by lots of pics of areas that had me scratching my head a few times.keep in mind theres a few ways everything can be done so this is approach which is very similar to Darbysans el camino. his write up is very easy to understand though there are still some missing details id like to point out.this conversion isnt complete yet so feel free to address me on any area thought to be wrong or misguided.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Like Like x 3
  2. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

IMG_0685.PNG IMG_0686.PNG IMG_0687.PNG IMG_0825.PNG IMG_0824.PNG IMG_0898.JPG

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

LampDriver.jpeg Lamp Driver module that needs to be modified,located right side of the dash just above the glove box

4. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0820.JPG Bulkhead at the firewall removed this is one way of attaching the TPI harness to the car,however its not the most fun or easiest.one side of the bulkhead is for lights,horns,wipers & the other side is the engine side

5. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

IMG_0747.JPG this is the harness i took out of the monte on the lower right of firewall that plugs into the IP harness IMG_0755.JPG this is the 88 IROC harness going in,this was not a stand alone harness i have to remove things like wiper controls that were not needed.take note to the difference in the size of the grommet from the original to the tpi its much larger,and be sure to have the C type clip to attach it inside once youve opened the hole in the firewall.i suggest making a cardboard template before making the cut.

6. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

IMG_0885.JPG passenger side portion of harness,tagging your plugs as you identify them helps alot IMG_0925.JPG drivers side portion installed,i moved the washer jug as far forward as possible to make room for the MAF,MAF burn off,Fuel relays and the ESC IMG_0889.JPG be sure to check all these wires,the heat pulls the insulation back from the terminals,i removed the terminal and placed a piece of heat shrink tubing over them and reinserted IMG_0941.JPG passenger side wiring installed IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0977.JPG this is the ECM,Fuel pump & relays hot wire,needs to be fused from the batt,also seen in the pic above beside primary cooling fan relay,secondary HD fan relay seen below IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1043.JPG wiring isnt done on this side yet cause i want to have a custom + cable made through www.hawksmotorsports.com seen is a loose orange wire that i have run inside the car for manual control of the HD fan and the primary will be ECM controled

• Like Like x 2
  7. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1048.JPG IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1052.JPG some reading material and schematics worth having on hand,at 2am forums wont reply lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

IMG_1036.JPG converted SI to CS style alternator,below shows a simple adapter found almost anywhere,i however hardwired it with the S terminal going to the starter with fusible link and one of the smaller wires running to the gauge and the third is not used.

Attached Files:

9. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

10ga brown wire pin D of IP connector is your fuel pump HOT which is fused under the hood as stated earlier,heres how i routed mine IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1039.JPG exits here into the left tail light area where it enters the existing wiring for fuel gauge behind the bumper. i dont have tank,sending unit or pump yet but i plan on adding a 3 terminal pigtail (hot/gauge/ground) to properly attach to the sending unit to look stock IMG_1025.PNG

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. SSClassic

SSClassic Apprentice

oil pressure switch (for gauge or light) PS133_thumb.jpeg 725108.jpeg Stock monte oil/choke sending unit s-l400.jpeg TPI oil sending unit

i removed the stock oil/choke unit and installed the TPI one,very long sensor with different pigtail,i didnt cut the C/H wires but i tapped into them at the bulkhead inside the car with independent 10 amp fused to power injector bank 1 and bank 2 and tucked the old pigtail into a dark hole. s-l225.jpeg this is the TPI oil sending unit pigtail.
    IMG_0931.PNG NOTE:some have used a Y at the dist. to use the C/H and TPI sensor IMG_0932.PNG IMG_0933.PNG here is yet another pigtail stop sign and the yrs stated are incorrect,i have an 88 wiring harness with the early style,its as simple as changing the pigtail or sensor to match up
    Screenshot-2017-10-24 Electrical pg B(2).png
    Screenshot-2017-10-24 Electrical pg B(1).png Screenshot-2017-10-24 Electrical pg B(3).png Screenshot-2017-10-24 Mechanical pg C.png Screenshot-2017-10-24 Electrical pg B.png Screenshot-2017-10-24 Mechanical pg B1.png

#10 SSClassic, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1