88mcss- can i run a 327 with a 200r4

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2020
Hey guys, have a 88 Monte SS,the stock l69 is junk(heads were pulled off and sat for 15 yrs with just a sheet over it) althogh it still turns over with minimal rust in cylinders. Question is can i build a 327(think from a chevelle maybe '69?) and put it in front of the stock 200r4? Will i need a different flex plate since the original is from a one piece rear main seal? Got a set of worked camel humps sitting on the shelf and got me curious about building a streetable 327 for the 88. Thanks for any insight, also if anyone has done it can i get some pointers and pics?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Absolutely!!

Read the 1st couple of pages https://gbodyforum.com/threads/80-cutlass-sbc-multiport-turbo-street-strip.57935/ turbo'd 327 with a TPI in front a 200-4R.

The stock trans, that you have, will not take it for long. But minor upgrades will handle it. If you continue on through that thread you'll see that the 200 is about the only thing that hasn't changed. It's taking 800+HP of abuse on a regular basis (I have datalogs to prove it - big smile), but n the words of my trans guy, 'it has more billet parts in there than non-billet' :):)!!

Reactions: 2 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
If the 200R4 is built to handle the horsepower, absolutely.

If it is stock, it isn't built to handle it, and won't last long with 300hp in front of it.

Of course you can build them to handle it.. Or buy one built from Extreme Automatics built to handle 500hp 400tq for a couple grand.. Ive looked into this because I am going to put a 400 6.6L Poncho in my 86 Grand Prix eventually.

-Gonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor