9" rear for my G-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
I'm thinking about putting a 9" under my Malibu. I'm looking at different companies and different gear ratios. I've got a 406, tko600,and a 81/2 with 373 posi.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Est. 500 Hp now with more to come. I hear the 8.5 is good behind an auto but not a stick and I don't want to tear it up when I could sell it and use the money for a built 9". I'm thinking I could run a 389 or a 410 gear and still use it on the street . :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I am in process now of putting a 9" with disc brakes in my El C. Give me a couple three weeks and we can talk

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
OK, Good deal any info I can get will help. looing for a good builder and a gear that will work on the track and street.:cool:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Nice thing with a Ford 9" it's easy to switch out the 3rd member so you have have a 3rd member set up for the street and another for the track. When you guys get a 9" do you get the semi floater or the full floater.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a Moser 9" in my Monte and had DTS set up the third member (they are about 6 miles from me).
I am running a 410 gear on the street with a locker and 28" tall tires with a 400 trans but eventually will get a GearVendors for it.
I welded on the rear brace, drain plug and fill cap.
IMG_0015.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Another good reason to get a 9". what's this floater? :cool: 565bb That's one nice set up thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
OK, Good deal any info I can get will help. looing for a good builder and a gear that will work on the track and street.:cool:
I envy your setup. That 5th gear in the 600 I believe is a .64 ratio? If so, your gear choices are expanded. What diameter tire are you running? Anything over a 27 inch rear tire, I'd go with a 4.10. I would even consider a 4.30 or 4.56. I know those sound radical, but that thing would be a 'blast' on the street. Yet, it would still give livable revs on the highway using 5th gear.

I have a friend that just put a Currie in his old '65 Chevy, looks really nice. I'm confident most any of the 9 inch builders are a safe bet. Moser and Currie are names that have been doing it for years and can't go wrong with either one.

Cary Scott

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2018
Mid Michigan
Full floating axles are typically for full on race applications, whereas semi floaters are better and cheaper for street use. Semis mate to a wheel flange of some sort and are designed to carry the weight of the vehicle where fulls are usually splined on both ends and are dedicated only to applying torque to the wheel. You'll need additional suspension upgrades to carry vehicle weight. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor