93-02 camaro posi in 7.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason14x

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2021
Hey guys question for you. I have seen a few videos and read about guys using the 93-02 camaro posi unit in our 7.5 rear ends to upgrade the durability? . Anyone do this or know of anyone who has? Would really like to just keep as much of my Monte intact as I can and my LS is gonna be pumping between 400-450 when I'm done. Dont plan 9n any racing or drag strip stuff,.so any advice on this would be great.
Jason

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It will require different axles. Either a set of custom axles, GN axles/442 8.5" axles, or a set of 28 spline 2wd S-10 axles. The last option requires you to make a 3/16 or 1/4" spacer to stick between the brake assembly and housing.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Pretty sure the 98-02 style Torsen differential is preferred over the 93-97 cone style, but here's one option for axles:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Pretty sure the 98-02 style Torsen differential is preferred over the 93-97 cone style, but here's one option for axles:

Jason - he ^^ is spot on.

We have a spare rear in the basement for our cars - the Torsen carnuts is referencing (with S10 axles), but the axles he linked are 5 times better. That diff ran for a full year at just under 500 wheel HP. It was tough enough and never gave up. The Torsen deal takes some getting used to, but once you do, it's fabulous. Basically, it's a budget Detroit True-Trac.

If you make a real 450 crank HP with your motor, then the 1st time you light it off out of a roll be ready to drive because a Torsen will require it.

Reactions: 3 users

Jason14x

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2021
So it grabs hard ! Like it. Glad I did the research!. I may have to go junkyard hunting ! Or just buy a new one !

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So it grabs hard ! Like it. Glad I did the research!. I may have to go junkyard hunting ! Or just buy a new one !
I think you'll find the price of new one somewhat outrageous. If you find one in a junkyard, then I say good for you. They are few and far between - watch Craigslist, FB marketplace and Ebay.

Finding a 3 series (3.23 and numerically higher) is not easy.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
i found a NOS Torsen one for short money on C/L last year. Series 3 too. (y)
They are out there, ya gotta keep looking.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
i found a NOS Torsen one for short money on C/L last year. Series 3 too. (y)
They are out there, ya gotta keep looking.
Agree - there is not big demand for them because of the 7.5 (7.625) nomenclature, but they are way tougher than an Auburn, Eaton or any other clutch style posi in this size. Extremely safe at 450 crank hp with a good axle.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Agree - there is not big demand for them because of the 7.5 (7.625) nomenclature, but they are way tougher than an Auburn, Eaton or any other clutch style posi in this size. Extremely safe at 450 crank hp with a good axle.
For the $$ I couldn't pass on it. It's on the shelf with reserved space next to it for upgraded axles and an install kit and gear set.
Really would like 3.08's with the 260 and 3 speed auto, but no joy with the series 3.
3.23's are not much more of a jump but the little 260 would be singing on the highway, prolly with a tune I wouldn't like.....
Guess I need to put the motor pile o parts together too

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor