94 to 79 trans am seat dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Alright so i bought a set of seats from a 94 trans am, and obviously they don't fit in to my 79 TA yet, what all do i have to do to thees seats to fit them correctly?

I wish i hadn't bought the back seat, it won't fit at all.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Did you try removing the 94' seats from the tracks and using the 79' tracks?

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Problem is, i never had any seats for the 79 originally, so i have nothing but the 94s. I was thinking that i could use a set of 79 tracks on thees 94 seats. Can anyone confirm that? I don't know if im just not looking hard enough, but i can't seem to google up any answers :blam:

Appreciate the help.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I can't confirm that 100% but I can say that GM was very good about seat interchanges. The base is specific to the model of car, as you found out, but the seats "usually" have the same bolt pattern underneath. I am using 95' Buick LeSabre 6-way power bases in my Bonnewagon, with 94' Firebird seats that bolted right on. I had to fabricate perches for the rear mounting points but the fronts fit easily. I will be cleaning my basement today (raining) so I think there are some 70's seats down there somewhere. If I find them I will measure the bolt patterns for you.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Craigslist in the car/truck catagory search for "parting out". Someone has to be parting a 2nd gen Camaro/Firebird near you.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I can't find the 79' seats. But I found Sunfire seat tracks and the 94' Firebird seats fit those too.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Sunfire seat tracks?

Yeah i can't find any 79' tracks or seats either. I'm almost positive a 2nd gen camaro would have identical seat tracks, somebody on here sent me a PM and said he'd be pulling a set for me today, waiting on a reply.

My main question was, would the 70's tracks fit the 94's seats with little or no modification, or is there some other option to take?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Damn I can't find them. My garage/attic/basement is a cluster**** of parts and if I had to move I think it would be easier to just set it all on fire. Did you consider building perches for the 94' seat tracks? On our cars the rear mounts are lower than the fronts, so I took strap steel and bent it into a big _/ \_ shape then welded it into the floor, and bolted the seat tracks to them. Here is what they look like. One was not even close, but the other I used 1 stud to hold the bracket. The fronts were very close if not spot on. I am always willing to drill a hole and back it up with a big washer for a seat mount. I bolted the fronts down, then saw where the rears ended up, and bolted the perches to the tracks, then welded them in permanently. It sounds harder than it is.These are 94' Firebird seats and tracks, pass side because the driver side is power and blocks the view. The same could be done to the 79', probably a closer fit than this was. In fact IIRC when I put a power seat base in my 77' TA, all I did was drill new holes and back them up with big washers.
P7060259.jpg
P7060260.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor