98~05 Blazer brake upgrade! DONE!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, they are identical. It bolted on the same, fittings in same spot, etc.
Thanks Scott,
I'm assuming it was from the earlier box style B-body....but I'll have to see for myself. I'm guessing the later B-body (whale style) has either 4-wheel discs or disc/drum combination.
The chances of finding later B-body cars is better than finding the old box body cars.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thanks Scott,
I'm assuming it was from the earlier box style B-body....but I'll have to see for myself. I'm guessing the later B-body (whale style) has either 4-wheel discs or disc/drum combination.
The chances of finding later B-body cars is better than finding the old box body cars.
If I had to guess it was mid 80's. But that is going purely off memory, and well I destroyed a portion of that in my younger days lol!

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If I had to guess it was mid 80's. But that is going purely off memory, and well I destroyed a portion of that in my younger days lol!
You're probably right there, Scott. We don't have to go into any further detail regarding what era we left some of our brain cells behind. :LOL:

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Chris Chow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2017
Nor Cal
You guys realize the ONLY difference between the cast iron and brass proportioning valves is the metal they are made out of right? They will make NO difference in how your pedal feels at all.

Yes. I replaced mine because I believe it was contaminated and not working properly.

f76c4c8e15e7f36b1d60b087709bf593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 1 users

anton shylene

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2017
This is the same set up on my sonoma GT with C5 brake it like day an night in stopping power.

Attachments

• IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    730.7 KB · Views: 444

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
I bolted the rear Blazer disc brakes on when I did my conversion and am very pleased with the results. Stock 88 Monte master cylinder and proportioning valve and everything works as it should.

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The only bad thing about using the stock disc/drum master cylinder is they usually have residual pressure valves in the outlet for the drum brakes. Using it for rear discs can make the calipers drag the pads as the Pistons won't go back as they should. Also, using the stock disc/drum proportioning valve will drastically restrict pressure to the rear; possibly to the point where the calipers will not or barely work. Disc systems typically run almost full pressure to the rear.

Randy majewski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2017
Port Clinton Ohio 43452
Re: 89~05 Blazer brake upgrade! DONE!

First of all, let me say good detailed information and pictures :mrgreen:

I just find it very hard to believe that that swap is worth the money spent. Gaining a 1/4" in overall diameter of the rotor and going from the single piston caliper to a dual piston caliper. It would be cool to see a before and after braking pad test done, just to show the difference in stopping power/distance :idea:
Anyone know where I can buy this set up online my local junkyards doesn’t have any

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
The only bad thing about using the stock disc/drum master cylinder is they usually have residual pressure valves in the outlet for the drum brakes. Using it for rear discs can make the calipers drag the pads as the Pistons won't go back as they should. Also, using the stock disc/drum proportioning valve will drastically restrict pressure to the rear; possibly to the point where the calipers will not or barely work. Disc systems typically run almost full pressure to the rear.

I have heard this time and time again, however when I had my 8.8 in the car the stock mustang discs did just fine with an otherwise untouched 87 cutlass brake system. Now with the S60, the 4 piston wilwoods have no issues with an otherwise untouched brake system as well.
It may be a problem in some applications, but it is not one in this case.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor