A and G body manual transmissions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xrated

n00b
May 26, 2006
Does anyone know the production numbers of manual transmissions in 1978-1981 A bodies and 1982-1988 G bodies? I found a 3 speed stick in an 1980 El Camino today at a salvage yard and was wondering just how rare these are.

Thanks,
Brandon

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
pull it all! :)

from the trans to the shifter & knob, the boot & trim. If you can cut it out, the hump in the floor... the pedals and brackets, clutch ign. cutout switch, bellhousing, clutch fork/ball etc. etc. etc. Bonus points for pulling the steering column if it's got the key release lockout lever. If its got buckets and a center console, grab that console too, they were specific to the stick cars.

If nothing else I'm sure you'd have somebody here (or on eBay) you could sell it to! Either as a whole kit or in pieces. Aren't many of those left in the world.

Xrated

n00b
May 26, 2006
GP403

Were you at the John Vance BOP show a few weeks ago in Guthrie? If not there was another 4 speed GP there.

I'll try to get back to the yard next week and pull all the stuff I can. It was a bench seat with a 3 speed. I also know another guy that has a 1979 or 1980 4 speed El Camino. This one in the yard is the only other one I've ever seen.

Thanks for the info,
Brandon

Xrated

n00b
May 26, 2006
GP 403

Now that I looked at your car link, it wasn't you that was at the BOP show. There was a Black 4 speed GP there I think I took some pics of it, I'll try to find and post them.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Nope, wasn't me :) Cool about the other 4-speed GP, should've got him to sign onto the forum ;) Take it back from the Monte guys ;) (j/k)

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
In 1981, GM in Canada built a number of 4dr Malibus for shipment & sale in Iraq (sounds strange now). Anyway, these cars were built with the 229 cubic inch V6, 3 speed manual transmissions, A/C, power steering & brakes, and a 200km/hr speedometer (not the round speedo, the regular horizontal one). Some of the cars were shipped to Iraq, but the last shipment was turned down, so GM of Canada was stuck with a bunch of odd Malibus that they had to get rid of. The cars were fitted with North American emission controls, and sold off in southern Ontario at bargain basement prices just to get rid of them.
Over the years, I have owned 2 of these cars, and when I scrapped them, I tried to save as many of the manual trans related parts as possible. I sold 1 set last year, but I still have most of the parts for 1 more set (including the steering column). I'm saving these parts for a rainy day, since most of the Iraqui Malibus have been driven into the ground up here, and have been scrapped and you rarely if ever see one around here anymore.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
No wonder we attacked Iraq, GM was pissed-off at Saddam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor