I need trim assembly help guys!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Alright guys, I'm having a problem trying to remember some trim install steps. When installing the A pillar/drip rail and B pillar trim, I know there is a sealing strip that goes on the weatherstrip channels as I have that ready.
The question is does anything go between the body and the trim to seal out water from getting in? For some reason I think my trim had some form of sealing strip on the backsides of the trim, but it's been 6+ years when I took the car apart.
See pic below....the area in question is the backside which is recessed. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Scott
20180118_233601.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would probably use 3m strip caulk. That is what we used on the Camaro

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Sweet, I have a box of it waiting. Did y'all stretch it out thinner at all, or just stick it on as is?
Thanks Jared!
The way I remember we put it on as is. You just want to look at how thick the strip caulk is relative to the recess in the trim. You want the strip caulk to smash a little but not be so thick that it won't allow the part to seat properly. This is what I was referring to.....
trm-08578.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI2NiHgsTk2AIVlrjACh1aAwbxEAQYASABEgIcsvD_BwE

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Nov 4, 2012
From the factory nothing goes between the body and the trim IIRC. There is a piece of thin foam tape between the trim piece and the rail that holds the weatherstripping. Adding some strip caulk certainly won't hurt anything.

A good tip (if you don't know it already) is when you are putting the trim back on, put a small bit of strip caulk on the tip of the trim screw before you screw it in. The strip caulk will coat the bare metal in the threads and keep it from rusting in the future.

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: 7 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
A good tip (if you don't know it already) is when you are putting the trim back on, put a small bit of strip caulk on the tip of the trim screw before you screw it in. The strip caulk will coat the bare metal in the threads and keep it from rusting in the future.

Good tip! Thanks.

Hutch

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor