A-body exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Does anyone know what the fitment would be like with an A-body muffler back exhaust on a G-body? I currently have 3" duals into mufflers and then dumped before the rear end.

No company that I have found sells a 3" tailpipe kit for the G-body but plenty of companies offer them for the A-body. Taking the car to a shop and getting one bent up is out of the question. I hate the factory Monte SS style tailpipes so essentially I just need to go from the mufflers up over the rear and out behind the rear tires.

Im open to other ideas. If anyone has pieced something like this together from scrap the angles and lengths would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Pypes sells a 3" system for Gbody maybe they will sell the tailpipes separately, the problem I see with trying to add tailpipes to an exiting system is there will probably be fitment issues meeting up with the location of your mufflers.
Have you considered doing mock ups and ordering 3" mandrel bends and welding them up?
When I did my 4" tailpipes for my Monte I bought some 4" dryer duct from Lowes and did mock ups to figure out what bends I needed and then returned it all when I was done, all the mandrel bends are from Walker.

Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Pypes sells a 3" system for Gbody maybe they will sell the tailpipes separately, the problem I see with trying to add tailpipes to an exiting system is there will probably be fitment issues meeting up with the location of your mufflers.
Have you considered doing mock ups and ordering 3" mandrel bends and welding them up?
When I did my 4" tailpipes for my Monte I bought some 4" dryer duct from Lowes and did mock ups to figure out what bends I needed and then returned it all when I was done, all the mandrel bends are from Walker.

Thanks for the advice. I contacted Pypes and they don't sell just the tails. I think im going to try the A-body kit since its cheap enough. Judging from my dad's 68 Olds rear suspension and frame there can't be that much difference. Maybe I'll clear it up for other people in my situation in the future.

Your picture reminds me of my 02 Dodge Cummins I had a 5" straight pipe under. Looks wicked. My car being significantly lower would not like that at all lol.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
The 73-77 A body "fits" but hangs low. I attempted using a system from a 74 Monte Carlo on a 79 Malibu. Looked Ghetto!
You might try these guys, they are retiring but may have the parts and pieces left over that you need.
http://www.torquetechexh.com/
I've used their 2 1/2 inch systems on 5 cars already and can say they had a really good product. Too bad they are retiring!
Torque Tech site does have a link to TA performance that lists 3 inch tail pipe kits.
http://www.taperformance.com/

Hope this helps.
Bob S.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have a Holley / Hooker 3" system on mine. It's designed around their LS swap system but I remember the development engineer (Todd) telling me you could buy parts a la carte. Fitment is excellent and it is stainless steel. They sell the Monte SS or Olds 442 side exit style tail pipes.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor