A-body headlight switch pin out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game Over

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2020
Tyumen, Siberia
Corner lights and dash light on my ‘79 Cutlass Supreme runs when I turn the key to On position. Also I can regulate corners with dimmer switch but can’t regulate the light of the dash. Headlights switch is in off position. Other positions works well. Other switches (I have 3 of them) works the same. It’s the wiring bug. But where? Also I made photos of headlights connector. The white wire was cutted before me. Does it has the right pin out? B6BCA56E-9CAE-4750-AFD5-6E3D8DC34E1C.jpeg 2A7DB90B-D48B-4FA7-AAAA-9A0D66092C5C.jpeg 9D03E34F-2132-40A6-BC57-30004A513677.jpeg

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Corner lights and dash light on my ‘79 Cutlass Supreme runs when I turn the key to On position. Also I can regulate corners with dimmer switch but can’t regulate the light of the dash. Headlights switch is in off position. Other positions works well. Other switches (I have 3 of them) works the same. It’s the wiring bug. But where? Also I made photos of headlights connector. The white wire was cutted before me. Does it has the right pin out? View attachment 153017 View attachment 153018 View attachment 153020
I was doing some wire tracing on an '81 dashboard that I plan to install soon into my '78. The service manual I was reading shows some of the interior lights with white wires and orange wires. The dash lighting wiring was mostly gray wires and black wires. I didn't check to see why they were differently coded. On the orange/white, the orange seemed to be the powered side from the switch. On the dash lighting, the gray was the powered side.
Being curious, I went out to my garage and got some pics of my light switch plug and the switch connectors as well.
I have seven wires: Black, Orange, Brown, Yellow, Green, Red, and White.

20200727_201530.jpg
20200727_201601.jpg
20200727_201654.jpg
20200727_202036.jpg

My switch and wiring harness are 1981, your light plug looks differently shaped than mine.

Last edited:

Game Over

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2020
Tyumen, Siberia
Thank you. Yes, my connector is different but colors are the same. I’ll try to check the wiring in my car. Think there is excessive plus on one of wires

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
That thought crossed my mind also, maybe somewhere in the wiring you are getting input from an unwanted connection. A second thought I had, is that actually a GM switch and plug? Is it possible that someone replaced the original with the next easiest switch they could find?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
White is the hard ground trigger for the dome and courtesy lights from the door jamb switches and headlight switch (rotate until it clicks- turns interior lights on). Gray is dimmer illumination for gauges, radio, and other dash lights (rotate headlight knob).

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Game Over

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2020
Tyumen, Siberia
Thank you guys! The problem was solved today. I found a jumper which was installed by previous owner. I think he wanted DRL, but doesn’t know how to do)

Reactions: 1 user

Game Over

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2020
Tyumen, Siberia
That thought crossed my mind also, maybe somewhere in the wiring you are getting input from an unwanted connection. A second thought I had, is that actually a GM switch and plug? Is it possible that someone replaced the original with the next easiest switch they could find?
It’s a stock connector for a-body Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor