a body rear end swap help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Need help from you guys that have a a-body rear end swap. Picked. Up a 1973 grand am 8.5. Posi 342 gears. Need to know beside top control arms what do I need to change or modify. If you have a 12 bolt rear can you tell me what your width is back plate to back plate. Thanks guys

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Sorry I can't answer your question but I stopped seeing your car on Craigslist and thought you sold it, I am glad to see you still have it.
The last pictures I saw it looked like you were removing the vinyl top, any updated pictures?

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
The 73-77 rears are a different animal than those before and after them and don't know if anyone has put one in a g body or not. I've not seen any upper arms to adapt one to fit our cars either.

Rick_B_86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
The 73-77 rears are a different animal than those before and after them and don't know if anyone has put one in a g body or not. I've not seen any upper arms to adapt one to fit our cars either.

I mistakenly bought one, and it would have been a royal pain making it work. I later found a 70 Monte 10 bolt but I used to spring perches from the 73 as they were the over-the-tube style. Lower control arm brackets would need to be cut, moved and welded (and only a 1/4 inch, but it was enough to cause some bind) the upper ears also sit at a different angle, so even the UMI swap arms don't work.

That being said, anything is possible to do. You could technically make it fit, you pretty well just need custom control arms, a decent welder, time and patience.

It definitely won't be a weekend swap.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Started painting and doing bodywork at my job like I went to school for. Going. To finish it just picked up a. Few things I. wanted for it. Seats need to dye them. Holley electronic. Fuel. Pump. And. The posi rear end. Need to modify some things that To make it fit but I have a master welder fabricator at work to help. Thanks for the push to finish I'll take pics as I start to Put together.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Need help from you guys that have a a-body rear end swap. Picked. Up a 1973 grand am 8.5. Posi 342 gears. Need to know beside top control arms what do I need to change or modify. If you have a 12 bolt rear can you tell me what your width is back plate to back plate. Thanks guys
I can't speak to swapping in an early A body rearend like that, but I agree, they're a whole different animal. Best to resell that rear and go a different route. I was fortunate enough to find a 12 bolt Chev rear from a '71 Chevelle. UMI 12 bolt swap upper control arms made that part work, but I still had to narrow it, which entails custom axels and cutting off and relocating the lower mounts inboard.
If you can afford it, a pre-engineered F*rd 9" from Strange, Currie, or one of the other mfg's would be the way to go, but at a bit more of an expense. All depends what route you want to go, and how much you want to spend.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I think That the upper control arms have another small bolt hole that is used that needs to be drilled bigger for the control arm bolt for this swap.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor