A/c 87 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The vent mode switch and actuators are vacuum operated. Usually when the mode won't switch from defrost the system isn't getting any vacuum or is leaking vacuum. With the engine running can you hear a hissing sound inside the car or under the hood near the blower motor? Run the engine for a minute and then turn the engine off. Immediately change the mode selection say from defrost to normall. Do you hear anything? A slight hiss or the sound of movement under the dash?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
x2 likely a vacuum leak. The system defaults to defrost when there is no vacuum present. Did you always have this problem or did it start recently?
In addition to listening for leaks at the controller in the dash I would also check for leaks under the hood. AC Cars got a black plastic ball mounted conveniently above the exhaust manifold on the passenger side ( which in my case has melted twice before I moved it to the inner fender ). This ball will keep the system under pressure when the engine comes under load and vacuum drops ). The plastic lines run off the intake to the ball and from the ball into the car as the vacuum source. Beware they become brittle and crack easily with age so don't be tugging on them too hard.

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
This black ball

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 274

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That one should be for the cruise control. You should have another on the other side of the engine compartment, near the A/C accumulator (silver tank).

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
The vent mode switch and actuators are vacuum operated. Usually when the mode won't switch from defrost the system isn't getting any vacuum or is leaking vacuum. With the engine running can you hear a hissing sound inside the car or under the hood near the blower motor? Run the engine for a minute and then turn the engine off. Immediately change the mode selection say from defrost to normall. Do you hear anything? A slight hiss or the sound of movement under the dash?
I don't hear any hissing how do I replace vacuum.

HOAdrian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2015
Gainesville, FL
Does this problem occur in all the A/C positions (Max, Norm, Bi-level)? The other day when I was using my A/C, in the Max position, the air came out the defroster vents, but out the dash registers in Norm. I haven't looked into it yet. Might be an adjustment is needed.

Herbert hunter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2016
Does this problem occur in all the A/C positions (Max, Norm, Bi-level)? The other day when I was using my A/C, in the Max position, the air came out the defroster vents, but out the dash registers in Norm. I haven't looked into it yet. Might be an adjustment is needed.
I never comes out on any level the defrost just stays on

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor